Advertisements
Advertisements
Husband and I are trying to adopt via foster care. We want school age children or a sibling group of up t0 2-3. It's been 2 years and no luck. Not even a foster care placement. We've made dozens of inquiries for kids on USAKids but never hear anything back. We have no idea what we need to do to improve our odds. Starting to think we're too old to be considered (early 50's).
Last update on January 11, 3:05 pm by DMJ.
Reach out to your licensing worker. Look into heart galleries. I know some people say the best way to get placement is to be at the top of your workers mind.
Advertisements
You are not too old, especially for older children.
Are you open to all races or biracial/multiracial children? In some states, there is a great need for foster parents open to Black and Hispanic children.
How open are you to physical, intellectual, or emotional special needs?
You are unlikely to find totally healthy children of school age. The longer a foster child has been alive, the more likely it is that he/she has had negative life experiences, besides loss of a birthparent -- abuse, neglect, multiple placements (hard to bond with an adult that way), lack of adequate medical/dental care, poor education, and so on. Also it is unusual for a child to wind up in foster care if he/she has an intact birth family with no medical issues. As an example, some of the birthmothers may have used alcohol or drugs in pregnancy, and that can cause long term health and behavioral issues in the child.
Remember that the children on photolistings are usually the most difficult to place -- boys over age ten, children with moderate to severe special needs, etc. If you are hoping to find children with fewer challenges, meet with your local agency people. The more face time you get with them, the more likely it is that they will think of you when they have a child or sibling group that you can parent.
Sharon
Are you a foster to adopt home? Your age shouldn't be an issue unless you or DH have serious medical problems, but I'm guessing you don't or they probably wouldn't have approved you. Are you only wanting "healthy" kids? Maybe your preferences are holding up a placement? I would consider another agency at this point.
We did get a short placement for about 2 weeks last month. Unfortunately, we had previously said we couldn't deal with eating disorders (step daughter had bulimia) and they gave us a kid with an eating disorder. It was too much to deal with.
We're pretty open to ages, but the two issues seem to be 1. we both work so the kids have to be able to be in after school activities/day care and 2. they and immediate family can't be illegal immigrants, due to job requirements. Makes it difficult.
We are in the same situation out in California - we just got our license renewed for the 3 time and 3 years in, we got nothing. One major NO and that was us working outside our County. Our social worker seems burnt out and/or just doesn't like us. It is very frustrating!
Advertisements
Have you reviewed your home study to see if it has something that might be a red flag to a placement workers I have a friend who was in a so!ilar situation. In tjier 50s, open to a sibling group. They actually preferred an AA or biracial child/ten and were open to teens. But they were licensed for 3 years with no placements. They were only interested in legally free kids though. Eventually they had a failed international adoption and gave up. Its so sad that so many kids need homes and they were nt given the opportunity to offer it.
I think that if you ' Polled ' most of us asking ages . We are over the age of 45.
California is about to ' Privitize ' our State's Foster Care System.
I would say also the reasoning or ' Red Flag ' is putting the Kids in After School Care. Rather than spending this time with them.
We've officially given up on adopting from US foster care. Our social worker told us that since we're not willing to take kids directly out of the court system after our recent placement failed (safety issue), that it is unlikely we'll be able to find a child to adopt. At our age, we just can't wait for the remote possibility that whatever kids we get might eventually be able to be adopted.
So, on to international adoption.
Just curious, our social worker refused to give us a copy of the home study. Is this normal?
Last update on July 28, 10:29 am by DMJ.
The Home Study for ' Foster To Adopt ' is not the same as International Adoption's Home Study.
You are still going to have to pay about $5,000 and before you do this!!
International Adoption is just as ' Critical ' due to the Accountability with a Foreign or ' Overseas ' Country as ' Foster To Adopt .'
Advertisements
I realize that we'll have to pay for the home study. We've already decided on the agency.