Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! I've been wanting to be a foster parent for about a decade and I'm finally in a place where I feel I'm ready... I don't think any parent is ever READY, though. I've been doing a ton of research and trying to prepare a room and house for little ones. Although I've been a nanny for years, I have nothing in the kid department. I'm unable to have babies of my own and I don't really know anyone in the area that has kids/is able to help. I even went as far as to set up a gofundme account to help with startup expenses, but it's not really booming. I mean, every little bit helps and I'm very grateful for every little bit of it, but $25 isn't going to buy a crib, even. I want to be able to take these kids on adventures and experience new POSITIVE things. I've rambled enough; here's what I'm looking for:
1. Any tips on how to make the gofundme better? Here's the link: gofundme.com/pj37vn38
2. I've searched for resources for foster families, such as vacationing discounts, furniture discounts, clothing, safety etc... I got nothing. Are there hidden resources?
3. Local support groups for foster parents. I want stories! I'm not just looking for all the rewarding experiences of being a foster parent or the most extreme cases. I'm looking for average, day to day stuff, too. Like any newbie, I have tons of questions and am willing to pick as many brains as I can. I've already decided that nothing can sway me; I just feel the need to prepare as much as possible.
Anything helps! Thank you for your time!
A big piece of being a foster parent is being able to afford the children, so I will not address the gofundme
That being said my agency sometimes has discount for theme parks and other things that they let us know about, we even got free tickets to a baseball game once for us and the kids.
As for support I recommend looking in the General Foster Forum that has the most activity.
Advertisements
Just to be clear: the gofundme is for the initial one-time purchases, not the monthly expenses, but I appreciate your concern. I'm not in this for the money; I'm in this to help these kids through their transitions in their young lives and give them as much as I can.
I'm glad to know your agency lets you know about discounts; I'm hoping the social workers do the same for me! I guess I was just thinking that since there are a lot of coupons, free samples and such for new parents, there would be things like that for foster parents, as well?
I'd thought about searching the General Forums, but I was kind of looking for people that might be local so we could get together for some fun events or just help each other out on the harder days (like when a new child arrives and there is no sleeping or when you need a break for an hour or so).
There are quite a few families on here from California but almost no one actually reads the state specific forums.
I will add my agency also has a parent support meeting monthly so yours might as well/
LOL I am a spam moderator for the site so I go everywhere trying to clear spam... a never ending impossible task since I have deleted over 350 spam messages today and have not even gotten past 12 hours ago
Advertisements
' Ditto ' or I second with Ebay, Kids' Consignment Stores, or ' Craigslistings '!!!
How is it going for ya'll as well also??
1. Any tips on how to make the gofundme better? Here's the link: gofundme.com/pj37vn38 . Does your Agency really allow this??
2. I've searched for resources for foster families, such as vacationing discounts, furniture discounts, clothing, safety etc... I got nothing. Are there hidden resources?
' Ditto ' or I second with Ebay, Kids' Consignment Stores, or ' Craigslistings '!!!
Ask at Preschools and Schools as well also!!
3. Local support groups for foster parents. I want stories! I'm not just looking for all the rewarding experiences of being a foster parent or the most extreme cases. I'm looking for average, day to day stuff, too. Like any newbie, I have tons of questions and am willing to pick as many brains as I can. I've already decided that nothing can sway me; I just feel the need to prepare as much as possible.
We live in Northern California in between San Francisco and Sacramento and Lake Tahoe, and have Adopted Kids from San Diego and Los Angeles Counties. Could I ask what part of California you live in or nearest ' Big City ' please??
Also try ' Meetup . com '