Advertisements
Advertisements
I recently saw this movie--I found it deeply thought provoking. For those who haven't seen it, Kevin is a child who seems to be living with a disorder ( the movie doesn't specify if it is a disorder) such as autism or Asperger's syndrome, or perhaps some type of attachment disorder from birth. In the movie, the mother realizes that there is a serious issue with Kevin and seeks help for him but is poo-pooed and brushed off by health care providers as well as her husband. In the end, Kevin goes to great lengths planning mass murder and mayhem, committing school violence and murders in the school and ends up killing his sister and his father. In the movie it seems he left his mother alive so she would suffer the aftermath, the agony, and pain of knowing what he had done, but also he wanted to torture her emotionally by leaving her alive to suffer the loss of her daughter and husband.
It also focuses on the community's reaction to her as the mother of Kevin, the boy who committed the murders, and how the community blames her for his actions. It eludes to how the mother's life has been affected so deeply in ways people cannot imagine. Her home and car are vandalized, she is attacked on the street by strangers who recognize her, and shows how she has become very isolated due to the actions of her child.
As I said I found this movie to be very thought provoking- I would like to hear other's opinions on it.
Advertisements