Advertisements
Advertisements
Our two foster sons (now age 1 and 4) are coming up on their 1 year in care. Bio mom has completed parenting classes, and comes to most visits (2 hours supervised once a week). She has not completed any other aspects of her case plan, and because of some issues, can not have unsupervised visits at this time (they were scaled back to supervised about 4 months ago).
One of my sons dads has declined services. The other one has just recently started being involved (he didn't see him for 3.5 years of his life), but has come to about 3 out of 8 visits. He has an extensive case plan - there is no way he could complete it in time for the 1 year review since he just got involved (even though he has been the legal father for his entire life).
The other main person involved is a maternal grandmother, who is very interested, but was ruled out several months ago.
My question is - what are the chances the judge grants an extension a the 1 year mark? Does that happen with young children often? It seems as though most TPR cases are when the parent does absolutely nothing, which isn't the case with the mom. Or, would they reconsider the grandmother now that TPR is (probably) being cosidered? I am so nervous to attend the permenancy planning meeting in a few weeks, they so desperately need stability.
Advertisements
I'd also guess that an extension is likely, but if not much has changed in the next six months (like major progress toward completing the case plan) I'd guess that TPR becomes a lot more likely.
My grandson was placed with us when he was 2 months old. He is now 2. The parents still only have supervised visits mom has 10 hours a week and dad gets 8 hours a week services were stopped in December. Do judges usually go by the social workers recommendation because dad is now asking for my grandson to be returned or to get a 60 day trial return. The parents haven't even gotten overnight visits in the last 22 months. This situation has been a roller coaster and my grandson screams and doesn't want to go when his other grandma picks him up for his dad's visit. It's crazy how backed up the courts are.
Do regular foster parents (non relative ) have problems with visits? I have had to deal with a lot from both sides. Very angry outbursts and name calling. I'm being blamed for the states rules and limited hours.
Kelly;
I would start a new ' Posting ' with regards to the Topic with what you are either trying to say or saying to get more answers please??
We have been a non ' Kinship ' or non-related Foster and Foster to Adopt Family since March of 2000.
Personally, and I am going to say ' Professionally. ' I don't see any real differences between ' Kinship ' and ' Non Related.'
The issues are still equal, one and the same!!
' Original Poster ' or ' Marie247 ; '
California's Foster Care System takes or works in 18 month increments.
California's State Foster Care Advocacy is under the age of 8 or 9 years old . The emphasis or Advocacy is automatic reunification with the ' Birth Parents ' or ' Birth Family '.
How is ' Life ' either currently or Today please??
Advertisements
Kelly,
Yes, we have all probably at one time or other had issues related to visits. One of my former placements, mom sent me harassing texts when visits were decreased that *I* wanted to take away one of her visits. I don't transport to visits (can't because of work, but I'm just as glad to avoid seeing parents). I've supervised visits a couple of times, but never again. Parents often seem to need someone to blame, and we're handy.