Advertisements
Advertisements
Originally Posted By Tina
We have friends trying to adopt from Cambodia and now their agency is saying Cambodia is closing indefinatley. Any information would be appreciated.
They were told up until 11-17 that they would be recieving their referel and traveling by Christmas.
Thanks for any information.
Originally Posted By Uncle Neil
The U.S. Embassy in Cambodia's web page (http://usembassy.state.gov/cambodia/wwwh0007.html) does NOT indicate that adoptions from Cambodia are, across the board, halted, but does indicate that there will be delays while everything is checked out and (by implication) some visa applied for will not be issued because everything doesn't check out.
From the website: "American citizens are advised to expect lengthy delays in the processing of adoption cases. Anomalies in the application process may preclude the approval of an adoption until a full field investigation has been conducted by the U.S. Embassy, in conjunction with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). For the convenience of
those American citizens wishing to adopt children in Cambodia, the U.S. Embassy strongly urges that affected
citizens delay their travel to Cambodia until each case has been screened for irregularities. It is quite possible that delays could be from one to two months. Families will be notified when the investigations are complete and visas may be issued in specific adoption cases."
I am guessing that the extent of the delay may vary according to officials' past experience with an agency. If nothing has ever been found out of line with an agency's past adoptions, there's probably nothing out of line on the next one. If, however, there have been problems before there are likely to be again.
Apparently several agencies are saying Cambodia is "closed." Perhaps their information is better than what the Embassy is giving out. I would wonder, though (and it is a wondering, NOT an assertion of fact) if it didn't really mean "Cambodia is closed to OUR adoptions because our practices will not bear up to investigation."
Advertisements
Originally Posted By terrymacri.hotmail. com
We have completed an application, and information through INS in attempt to adopt from Cambodia, of course we are very concerned about any information that would indicate a delay. If you have any information that we would need or should have please feel free to let us know at above address.. thank you
At this time, Cambodia's law still allows international adoptions. However, the U.S. INS and State Department are concerned about allegations of baby-buying and fraudulent attempts to classify children as eligible orphans. As a result, lengthy investigations are occurring.
Families have gone to Cambodia, legally adopted children, and then found that they had to wait in Phnom Penh for long periods of time because of the U.S. investigations. At this time, there are families stuck in Phnom Penh, unable to get visas to bring their children home; some cases may actually be denied. There is some concern that families who used "good" agencies and facilitators may face as many problems as those using questionable ones, because the U.S. government is treating the overall adoption climate as unsavory.
If you are adopting from Cambodia,make sure to work only with agencies of the highest integrity. And if you are already in process, do not travel unless you receive assurances from the U.S. Embassy that a visa is likely to be issued. You do not want to be raising your child in a hotel room for a month, or to be finding that -- after bonding with a child -- you will not be allowed to bring him or her home.
Originally Posted By Uncle Neil again with newer info
It's not that Cambodia is closed, it's that (since the previous discussion) the U.S. is closed to adoptions (and in fact all immigration) from Cambodia.
From
"The Department of State announced on December 12, 2001, that responsibility for all immigrant visa processing in Phnom Penh, including adoptions, fiance(e) visas and diversity visas, has now been transferred to the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok. Except for those who already have appointments scheduled in Phnom Penh, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok will begin to schedule new appointments for Cambodian immigrant visa applicants after February 1, 2002. Embassy Bangkok will keep your contact information on file in order to provide further information and instructions."
But there's more, and it gets worse:
"On December 21, 2001, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) announced an immediate suspension of the processing of adoption petitions for Cambodian beneficiaries. Consistent with this announcement, the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok will take no further action on Cambodian adoption cases at this time. Those who are interested in or who have already started the adoption process for Cambodian children should monitor the INS (www.ins.gov) and State Department (www.state.gov) Internet websites for future developments."
This is obviously not good news but I have hopes that things will get going again.
Cambodia is currently closed for USA adoptions but is STILL OPEN FOR OTHER NATIONALITIES. IN THE PAST 6 MONTHS MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE ADOPTED FROM cAMBODIA, AS HAS ANOTHER FAMILY WHO ARE FRIENDS OF OURS. CURRENTLY THERE ARE AUSTRALIANS, ITALIANS AND AUSTRIANS ADOPTING FROM THERE AT THIS TIME. My adress is hionline2002@yahoo.com ....my there are babies available as well as toddlers and older children
Advertisements
It appears that we will not be able to adopt my wife's nephew from Cambodia. However, a friend suggested having the child come live with us to attend school in the US. Does anyone have any ideas on this subject? Any help would be appreciated.
Getting a student visa has become more difficult since the terrorist attacks of 9/11. However, it is not impossible to obtain one. A competent immigration lawyer can help you.
Just don't expect that, once the child is in your home, you will be able to do an adoption. Since he is a Cambodian citizen, he must be adopted under Cambodian law. And the USCIS could possibly charge you with committing visa fraud, for misrepresenting the reasons for which you brought him to the U.S.
Sharon