Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm hoping someone here can give me some insight. I don't know if anyone else has run into any issues this year with taxes, FC, and the ACA. I filed my taxes back in January, they were sent to examination because I did not opt to pay the penalty for Foster Children being uninsured, because they were in fact insured. I claimed two foster children on my return who had lived with me the first 9 months of the year. The IRS said I must provide proof that the children had coverage or amend my return, take the kids off, or pay the penalty for them being uninsured. I explained to him that they were foster children and had Medicaid. He said to prove it by getting a 1095-E. So I call the insurance company, well neither child is still with me so their contact information is for the county for one child and the parent of the other, so they can't discuss anything with me or send me any verification that the children had insurance. This seems to be an unintended consequence of the ACA, any advice? The county and agency have been no help, the agency doesn't even want us claiming the kids because they said they don't have the manpower to handle issues, i.e. bio parents and foster parents both claiming kids and them needing to provide documentation.
Can you get a letter from their worker stating that they were insured? Someone at the agency should be able to help you.
Advertisements
I didn't include my foster children in my taxes. I'm in California, But I was told they are NOT part of your taxes and you do NOT have to declare them, until you adopt them and receive adoption assistance.