Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Cases like this are exactly why we need icwa. Native families are more vulnerable, due to lack of access to services, higher likelihood of lack of education, and cultural/ racial bias. However, icwa is also a recognition that Native kids essentially hold dual citizenship for both the united States and their tribe. I've heard about kids in care in the USA being adopted by extended family and fictive kin in Canada and no one batting an eye. In that situation, if the child already had dual citizenship, Canada would also have a stake in the child's future, whether or not she/ he identified with Canadian heritage.
Our job as foster families is to help children return to parents or other family. I had a child I loved leave to live with fictive kin. I can't imagine trying to block that. If this family had done their job as foster parents and not fought the removal, she wouldn't have been there so long. Shame on these foster parents for making the transition harder and for violating this little girl's confidentiality.
1 Liked
 likes this.