Advertisements
Advertisements
I posted earlier but I don't see it. Not sure if i did it wrong or if it takes a while to post?
My questions were.
1. for straight adoptions with cps. can someone tell me the process. How do you know what kids are out there (besides the adoption photolisting) page ect, which seem to only list older kids or kids with disorders which we don't feel comfortable working with yet). Has anyone done this process and can you share your experience, time frame, steps, ect?
2. For foster to adopt, we are starting our classes this weekend, and have turned in tons of paperwork already. We are asking for ages 0-6, either gender. How do we prepare for the home study? i have read a few threads and people give there advice, but what is actually required for the Homestudy/inspection? for example, we have toddler beds already (nieces and nephews visit) but do I need to go get a crib ect ? Without knowing what age we will get, thats a wide array of supplies I'm in the dark about and cant afford to get everything for boy or girl in those age ranges lol . let me know what your experience was :-)
3. anyone in Texas done either foster to adopt or adoption recently in the Tyler area? experiences on steps/timeline/process :-)
thank you!
Last update on November 17, 8:39 am by Sachin Gupta.
Generally, kids who are legally free for adoption are older, have significant disabilities, or both. There are kids who are not on photo listings, and they may be younger and/ or have fewer needs. Here, for kids who are not on photo listings, the placement workers search out families who might be a match through licensing workers, and you would be contacted about that that specific child to see if you would be interested.
What needs to be ready during your home visit varies by state. Here, before you will be approved, you need to be ready to take children anywhere within the range you specified. I have a toddler bed that stays set up (I take it down if I have a baby) and a play yard that sets up quickly but stays folded up in the closet until/ unless I need it. "Everything you need" is a relative term. I have baby equipment, because I kept it from my son. You don't need gender specific stuff. You don't really need toys and clothes, although having at least one or two things in each size, plus a few different sizes of diapers, is useful. I got my first placement at night (call to "stand by" came around 4:30 on my way home from work, didn't hear anything else until they showed up at 10ish) the day before I was licensed. My second placement was a middle of the night call for a removal by police, and she came with one diaper and a few 9-12 month clothes (she wore 18 month or 2T, depending on brand). Second placement arrived maybe 30 minutes after the call. Being somewhat prepared with stuff is really important. My age range is smaller, but I try to keep at least one gender neutral outfit (sweatpants and a tshirt is fine for older kids, onesies or romper so for babies) will at least give you something to change them into in order to go shopping if they come with nothing.
Advertisements
thank you for the reply. we since, have done our fire inspection, health inspection, and final walk thru. our agency is working on typing up our home study and thats it. so hopefully we are licensed any day now. we took your advice and got some clothes for multiple ranges. we have a toddler bed and a pack in play crib ready. we got a few sizes of diapers and a thing of formula w a couple bottles, which is difficult since they are so age specific. we also have a car seat that goes for multiple ages. we deffinilty don't feel ready, but we are anxious and hoping we get a call soon!. anyone else have experience in tx with how quick they got calls?
You will never feel ready. I would say just be ready to get what is needed. If you are doing straight adoption, the placement probably won't come with no notice. You would normally do a transition process from where they are currently placed. Such an exciting time!
'My questions were.
1. for straight adoptions with cps. can someone tell me the process. How do you know what kids are out there (besides the adoption photolisting) page ect, which seem to only list older kids or kids with disorders which we don't feel comfortable working with yet). Has anyone done this process and can you share your experience, time frame, steps, ect? '
We have been approached at church by Birth Parents who are unable to Parent. I would also or we would also talk to your ' CASA ' or ' GAL ' Advocates.
A lot and or a ton in Juvenile Dependency is not Publicized!!
The Advocacy in most states is under the age of 8 is reunification with the Biological Parent (s) or other Birth Family...
Our Family's very first placement was 30 minutes after being Certified.
Unless someone feels you want or that you need a ' Shower ' ???
Then I ' Ditto ' or I second with the previous Poster in that . ' You will never feel ready as well also !!! '
Last update on November 17, 8:39 am by Sachin Gupta.
Our State is doing away with Foster Care as well also, so if you are going into ' Foster Adoption . '
I would also question what the long term plan for Texas will be??
Advertisements
I am getting very little information. Other than they / State of California are closing ' Emergency Shelters ' in the state of California and going private with nothing to do with Foster Care or Foster to Adoption.
The Fiscal year starts July 1st.
I can do some research on Texas and get back to you if you would like??