Advertisements
Advertisements
Generally, kids who are legally free for adoption are older, have significant disabilities, or both. There are kids who are not on photo listings, and they may be younger and/ or have fewer needs. Here, for kids who are not on photo listings, the placement workers search out families who might be a match through licensing workers, and you would be contacted about that that specific child to see if you would be interested.
What needs to be ready during your home visit varies by state. Here, before you will be approved, you need to be ready to take children anywhere within the range you specified. I have a toddler bed that stays set up (I take it down if I have a baby) and a play yard that sets up quickly but stays folded up in the closet until/ unless I need it. "Everything you need" is a relative term. I have baby equipment, because I kept it from my son. You don't need gender specific stuff. You don't really need toys and clothes, although having at least one or two things in each size, plus a few different sizes of diapers, is useful. I got my first placement at night (call to "stand by" came around 4:30 on my way home from work, didn't hear anything else until they showed up at 10ish) the day before I was licensed. My second placement was a middle of the night call for a removal by police, and she came with one diaper and a few 9-12 month clothes (she wore 18 month or 2T, depending on brand). Second placement arrived maybe 30 minutes after the call. Being somewhat prepared with stuff is really important. My age range is smaller, but I try to keep at least one gender neutral outfit (sweatpants and a tshirt is fine for older kids, onesies or romper so for babies) will at least give you something to change them into in order to go shopping if they come with nothing.