Advertisements
Advertisements
Unfortunately, at the age of 23 years old, I have been diagnosed with infertility. Me and my husband have been looking into adoption, but are wanting to plan and gather information prior to getting started and taking on the responsibility of a child.
The reason we are gathering our resources now, is because we would like to adopt a child before I am 30 years old. From our understanding and the laws and regulations around adopting in Canada, it can take anywhere from 2 years to 5 years. We are looking into adopting a waiting child, vs adopting an infant at this time.
Right now I am just in the questioning stage and want to talk to other couples who have gone through a similar process.
Also I want to know what the pros and cons are to a closed adoption vs an open adoption?
Thank you in advance! This is all very new to me, so any advice is appreciated!
-Emily
Hi Emily Mae!
I'm also 23 and my DH (27) and I are just beginning the process to adopt in Saskatchewan and we've found that so far everything has gone vey quickly. We are just to the point where we were told when we started that from here on out the wait will be up to 2 years and we both feel it'll go faster than that. We'll find out soon though as our intake meeting is later this week!
My best advice would be to just start now! If you're financially, spiritually, and emotionally ready to adopt (which may not yet be the case, especially with your recent diagnosis), then the time is always now! We wanted to wait to have kids for another two years as we just got married in June of 2015 but when we found out the wait time, we realised it's better to start now. You can always decline a match if necessary.
To start, we contacted ASCS (Adoption Support Centre of Sask) and a lovely lady there held a meeting over the phone with us (we aren't in Saskatoon) and gave us a TONNE of useful information. At the end of this phone call is when we decided to begin the process immediately. Even if we weren't going to be ready to have kids for another couple of years, our paperwork may not be done until then anyways!
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give out the information they gave us in the emails they've sent us as it's not available on their website, but the website for the government of Sask is still very helpful. When it comes down to it, if you're ready, just go for it!!
All the best,
Stephanie
PS in Canada you can't adopt inter-provincially unless you adopt privately from a birth parent that knows (of) you and wants you to be the adoptive parents. Also, in Saskatchewan (I'm not sure about other provinces) you cannot advertise that you are hoping to adopt in the hopes of finding prospective children. So NO, this is not an advertisement, this is just my humble opinion and advice :)
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Thank you so much! That is a lot of help. There are so many things that I am still learning about the process, and this is all great info!
I am definitely not ready to adopt quite yet because I still feel very new to everything, but I feel like I am going in the right directing :)