Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
The question that would be asked of you is . Do you feel you can Parent both children or sibling groups...
What may be asked of you also is . Do you feel the kids can ' bond ' in relationship with your Family as well also..
I would also say go for it!!
Most social workers and agencies advise against adopting two or more children who are not biological siblings at the same time. The reason is simple.
Every parent needs time to form a strong attachment with a new addition to the family, and every child needs time to form a strong attachment with a new parent. That is why, for example, most agencies and many foreign countries require you to wait a year between adoptions. Attachment isn't easy or instant. True attachment takes lots of time and effort.
Moreover, adopted children often need a lot of services, soon after adoption. Many come home with multiple minor illnesses that need treatment. Many come home with lots of dental work that needs to be done, especially (but not only) if they come from foreign countries. Some will come home with known special needs, and others, alas, will come home and be found to have previously unknown special needs. You could wind up spending some of your "quality time" with a child in a hospital, the doctor or dentist's office, and so on.
In addition, when you adopt children who are bio siblings or children who have formed close bonds with each other in an orphanage or foster home, you may find that they have formed sort of family unit unto itself. They may communicate with each other in their foreign language, or even in a language they made up. They may turn to each other, rather than an adult, when they get a "boo-boo", when they have a nightmare, when they are feeling sad, and so on. These bonds can make it very difficult for them to attach to a new parent, and may make it very difficult for the parent to attach to them.
And if you adopt two unrelated children at the same time, unless you choose open adoption, you will have to deal with two sets of birth families. Building appropriate relationships with birth parents and relatives is often tough, even when you have just one child whose first family needs to be integrated into your life. When you have two or more birth families coming into your life at the same time, it is easy to get overwhelmed. Birth families can be wonderful or simply awful, and setting boundaries and so on can be emotionally draining.
Obviously, if you adopt bio siblings, you generally have to adopt them together, so you don't have the luxury of spending a lot of uninterrupted time bonding with each separately. Anyone who has adopted sibling groups will tell you that, at least for the first year, things can get rather chaotic and overwhelming. Most will suggest not adopting two or more non-siblings at the same time, as well.
On the other hand, some families HAVE adopted non-siblings at the same time, and have made things work. If you can find an agency that will allow you to adopt two children from different birth families at the same time -- which won't be easy -- and you have a strong support network, you CAN make it work. But you really should be warned that it's not for everyone. One thing that often helps is to adopt the two children from the same state, domestically, so you don't need to worry about two sets of ICPC requirements, or two children from the same country, so you don't need to comply with complex regulations for each country and a different language in each country.
It also helps if you have a spouse or partner who can put as much time into parenting as you do, if only so that you can deal with all the medical and school appointments and such. I'm not saying that singles can't do it, but remembering my first year at home, with my daughter having significant feeding and growth problems, I'm not sure how easy it would have been for me to parent two or more children at the same time, that year, given that I'was a single, working Mom.
Best wishes to you, whatever you decide.
Sharon