Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone. I joined this forum about 11 years ago with much doubt, feeling like it was a lost cause and that I'd never find any information about where I came from. That was far from the truth. With the help of some kind search angels, within a matter of weeks I had more information that I could imagine, including my name, birth mother's name. I also learned that I had 4 siblings born before me, all adopted by my maternal grand parents. Even my adoptive parents didn't know about them!
So much of that story to share, if you want to hear it, but more on that later.....
It took some more time, some luck, and some courage, and I found my family! I have been in limited contact with members of both sides of the family, father and mother. And I've been speaking on a regular basis to my brother, sister, and aunt through phone, text, and on Facebook for a little over a year now. I lost my adopted father in the middle of that, after a long battle with cancer, among some other challenges in life, including moving both parents to a nursing home. And I had to put things on hold for a bit.
Now here I am, and we are all ready. I am traveling to Ohio in a few weeks to meet my family, including my mother. I haven't talked to her yet, for many reasons, but she also knows that I've been in contact, and my brother arranged for us to meet with her while I am there. Everyone is very excited to meet me.
I have many mixed feelings, mostly good ones. I'm not scared. Maybe overwhelmed and apprehensive? I don't know how to describe it. It's very emotional, for sure!
I want to see if I can get some advice on how to prepare for this gathering. I'll be there for about 4 days, which will include a family reunion on my aunt's side of the family. They only have to get to know me, but I have to get to know all of them. Even with what I've learned so far, I'm having a hard time keeping up.
How can I make the best use of this time? Learn as much as I can about everyone? How do I keep it all straight in my head and memory? What other questions should I be asking?
I guess that's it for now. Thanks for any and all input (and encouragement).
MAL
Last update on May 21, 1:27 pm by malbo.
Advertisements