Advertisements
Advertisements
This is a sight where people come together to experience the world of adoption. The heart ache of parents who can not have children of their own, birth parents who are separated from their own children, and the child who is isolated from their own parents and many times handed to complete strangers. The cause and affect of this practice is not something that should be glossed over, ignored by government or turned into a fairytale for sale. More tears have been shed in each of these cases and continue to be shed throughout the lives of those involved than most people could comprehend. These adoption cases will go on to affect the lives of spouses, parents, children and even grandchildren for years to come. There is no reason a birth mother should be made to feel ashamed she is giving life, made to feel, or influenced to think she can not care for her child or that adoption is a happy ever after solution. Being a parent takes sacrifice, selflessness and honesty for all of us. To anyone deciding if they should keep their child I would say yes, do everything in your power to let your child know every day they are wanted and loved and yours. Let them know you are not perfect and they are not perfect but you are blood and family and will not quit being there for each other. You are just as capable as any other person of loving and raising your child. It is a basic human need and right to know who they really are and that there is nothing wrong with who they are or their birth. We are all only human. Blood matters. NO one will ever be whole without knowing the truth of who they are, nothing will ever fill the space it creates.
I was adopted 41 years ago and I am still in shock whenever I think about what few rights I and my children and even their children will have as American Citizen's to know my own heritage and blood lines in this country. WHY? To protect the rights of whom at what cost? Protect the rights of every citizen to have equal rights to identity, heritage, family trees and original birth certificates. Promote open, honest and healthy adoptions and support those who choose to keep their child as the best option for all. There is no certainty that an adopted family will give an adopted child any more than a birth mother can or even continue to be a two parent home. Adoption is not a dirty little secret and neither are the children involved or the heart ache attached, so why deny identity?