Advertisements
Advertisements
I adopted a sibling group. I have a 7 year old little boy that is a cute and funny. He loves to climb and touch everything. He has severe RAD and was sexually abused, exposed to pre and post alcohol and drug exposure. I am having trouble with him climbing and breaking things in the home. He grabbed onto the towel bar in the bathroom and tried to pull himself up. He jumped on his bed until he broke all the supports. He has pulled down his blinds in his room and he continues to climb and pull at things. He is highly impulsive and he doe snot respond to consequences. Any suggestions on what to do?
Advertisements
I have taken 3 actions I purchased a trampoline and I have him jump on it before breakfast and I purchased a book that is making some progress. The book is Love and Logic Magic by Jim Fray and Charles Fray. I am using the method in this book. The 3rd thing is I stripped his room and lock his bedroom door at night to keep him from roaming the house to swing on things or climb. I also have him on clonidine the low blood pressure medication to help him sleep. It is my hopes that he will find his path to accepting us as family. I am looking for a sexual abuse therapist to begin the work with him. Thank you, for your post it is a concern.
Is your Public School System even if you Home School, or Pediatrican or Family Doctor able to give you any type of their Advocacy
As you might know that for forums like this exist because the majority don't understand nor have any thoughts on how to move a child forward to attach and trust a new family. Most in therapy professions want easy kids which mine are not - this has been my experience. I have called several therapist but have not found one yet. I have not been able to get any referrals or recommendations worth anything from outside sources in my community.
I have made great progress and have had considerable improvements in behaviors. I simple do not know why he wants to climb and break things in the home. The trampoline has helped. I did talk to a forensic psychologist. He told me that kids like mine need extreme sports to replace unsafe behaviors. The oldest who is 9 years old, who had unsafe behaviors and was a threat to the family, I have placed her in gymnastics, rock climbing, she ride a bike with my husband for 10 miles per night before bed, and figure skating. She has become safe and is now working on getting better. She is showing remorse and feelings. I am now looking for activities to put him into. The problem he has tremors and I am afraid to put him in rock climbing. I do have him in ice skating and plan to put him on a hockey team. He loves art and I am looking for an art class.
Any help or thought on things I can do would be great.
Any thoughts on what else I can do to help him, I would greatly appreciate.
Advertisements