Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm in New York. What was said during MAPP class was it's not final until you're in the judge's chambers or court. I know this to be true because someone I grew up with relinquished a son who was about to be adopted (family didn't know). When family found out, they stopped the adoption. I adopted 4; I waited until we were in court to know it was real.
Advertisements
I ' Ditto ' with previous post.
Also with an ' Open Adoption Relationship ' .
It has to be in the ' Best Interests of the Child ' . The Court or the Judge will not look at the Adults or the Families 'Best Interests ' ??
An ' Open Adoption Relationship ' is an agreement of both Parties. It's not just a ' Hope and or a Desire !!! '
In State Juvenile Dependency, anyone who claims rights to Child Guardianship or Parentage has definite legal rights to paid Legal representation.
It's not like the State Criminal Justice System where you are ( entitled )to a ' Public Pretender ' as well also ...
I would ask your Attorney on Monday.
When Adoption is actually finalized??
Is it finalized or changed to ' Foster to Adopt ' , or is there a ' Waiting Period '.???
Another component that I would Professionally and as a Mom recommend.
If he does agree to ' Open Adoption ' or if he gets any type of ' Visitation .'
I would recommend keepin a 'Journal ' of the contact
ie
Her appearance and what she is wearing when she returns home to you.
Her emotions prior to leaving and when she returns home to you.
How much sleep does she seem to have had whilst she was in Dad's Care .
What They did when she was in his Care.
What she ate whilst she was in his Care.
Does he and how does he show her affection whilst she was or is in his care.
Advertisements
I tried calling the number that the adoption attorney gave me for another attorney that would handle something like this and the number went straight to voicemail - no message even. So I started looking for other attorneys but ended up getting a call from our CASA while I was looking who said that the gentleman seemed to indicate he just wants to know if he's the biological father (understandable) not necessarily wanting to parent. And, she assured us that the dept wouldn't recommend Darling leaving our home even if he was the biological father so I needn't worry...and also I learned that the "fact" I heard from the adoption worker that he'd gotten a private lawyer was untrue, he hasn't.
I told the CASA that if he just wants to know if he's the parent we'd be happy to work with him on getting a Paternity test done after the adoption. Even if he makes a request of the court to get one and he's denied we would want him to take one. It's as important to Darling (and thus us) as it is to him to know.
So that is all I know for now.