Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello Everyone: I am new to this and in need of some advice from other parties that can relate and maybe even offer some advise. My two boys (ages 15 & 12) asked if my husband can adopt them. We would have done this 10 years ago however we felt that this was something that needed to come from them as their lives would be the ones changed by this. We waited until my son turned 12 because in the state of California that child needs to be 12 or older to agree to the adoption. We started the process in March (two days after he turned 12) and had court June 3rd which was pushed back to July 15th because the June 3rd court date didn't allow ample time for the biological dad to show up since he was served on May 31st. We showed up to court this last Friday only to find out that the biological dad called the probation department on Monday July 11th to disagree to the relinquishment of his parental rights. Now court was pushed back to September 9th and my stomach is in knots. He hasn't provided ANY financial or emotional support in the last 12 years and has had NO contact with the boys. My 12 year old was 9 months when we split and my son doesn't even know what he looks like. He comes from a family of drugs, violence and rage which is why I left. My 9yr old is on Honor Roll and doing great in Band, my 14yr old is doing great in High School pulling straight A's and excelling in his Engineering class. I don't want all of this destroyed as don't know what to expect come September. My husband is the only "Dad" they know. He's been there during fevers and awards and everything in between.
Last update on July 18, 1:47 pm by Graciela Ortiz.
Advertisements
You can look into abandonment. If he's not been around, that may work. You can also file for child support. He may want to give up his rights to avoid paying.
State of California will look at what the Kids desire, and what is in their ' Best Interests '...
I second , I ' Ditto ' or I agree also with what Millie previously said !!
Professionally, I would caution as well also. You make this ' Soley ' be in his decision.
The Court is not going to look at what the Adults want!!!