Advertisements
Advertisements
Once I complete everything for the I600 and get approved for the IR4 visa (I'm adopting in Egypt) do we have to live in the USA immediately or could we return just to complete the adoption process then return back to Egypt?
Advertisements
You raise a good, but complicated, question. I'd suggest that you talk to the U.S. Embassy and, possibly, a U.S. adoption/immigration attorney.
Most adoptions by Americans living overseas don't involve guardianship. The children receive an adoption decree from the foreign country, and usually just have to make the child a U.S. citizen. That involves working with the U.S. Embassy abroad to get permission to go to the U.S. briefly, with the child, for an expedited naturalization process, since children adopted internationally by expats are generally not eligible for automatic citizenship. Most families go to Hawaii, where the expedited citizenship process is well understood, and where they can take a bit of vacation with their child.
If you receive your child under a decree of guardianship, you have not actually adopted the child. As a result, you cannot make him/her a U.S. citizen until you actually adopt him/her. And adoption must take place under the laws of your U.S. state of residence. That may be fine if you are considered to be overseas only temporarily, and still maintain official residence in the U.S. However, if you are considered to be a permanent or long-term resident of a foreign country, and do not maintain a residence in a U.S. state, that's a whole different ball game.
If the U.S. Embassy in your country isn't sure what you should do, my suggestion to you is that you contact Irene Steffas, a well-known adoption/immigration attorney, who practices just outside Atlanta, GA. She is one of the best in her field, and has actually advised the U.S. government and several foreign governments on Hague and other adoption issues. She may charge you for a consultation, but it will be well worth it, and if she is too busy to assist, she may refer you to someone else who is familiar with your issue.
Sharon