Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm looking into becoming a foster parent, but I'm worried about my income. I make less than $20,000 than year. I make enough to cover my bills with a little left over at the end of the month. I also have a small savings account. All the sites I look at just say you have to make enough to support yourself without needing the money from fostering.
Is there anyone else out there who fosters on a low income? Was it difficult to get approved?
I would Advocate your ' Strengths ' . Rather than your one ' Weakness .'
From a Professional Perspective or Advocacy, I would also look at how you are living, and if possible what you can do to improve.
Fostering requires the child have their own bedroom.
Can you afford a 2 or a 3 bedroom home.
I hear you say ' you ' in singular rather than what would be a ' Plural Family ' sense as well also??
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I would have to agree. I would focus on what you can offer before counting yourself out of this situation. Of course there are certain things needed to be a Foster Parent. Go through the process and let them help you to determine if you are a good fit for this in parenting.
Good Luck!
The Agency ( ies) Orientations are or should be no cost without commitment .
I would recommend going to more than one Agency Orientation as well also!!
Another factor that I would highly consider is participating in either a ' Nanny Share ' or some type of Parent Cooperative for Child Care.
Rather than Traditional Day or Child Care...
I would recommend contacting your local department of child and family services and asking this question directly!
Advertisements
Not sure what state you're in but in NY, as long as you can cover your expenses with your income, you're good. They don't want you to foster just for the money.