Advertisements
Advertisements
I don't have kids yet, but I'm constantly thinking about things I want to do as a parent. Lately my thoughts have been about family vacations and how old your kids should be. My concern is that we'll spend lots of money on a really fun experience, but the kids will be too young to enjoy it and even remember it. For you parents out there, how have you dealt with this? Is it even worth it to go on family vacations when the kids are so young?
Advertisements
The purpose of family vacations is to build family bonds and do something fun together, and family vacations don't have to be lavishly expensive to be fun! When our kids were smaller, we would just try to go to a neighboring city once a year and stay at a hotel for a night or two. We'd find fun local things to do and just keep it low-key. We'd also go on short camping trips once or twice during the summer. I have a friend with four boys, ages 5 and under, and what they do instead of big vacations is just try to do one fun thing together as a family every week - go to the park and play in the sand, go get ice cream on the local dairy farm, visit a nearby museum. so I think that's brilliant idea for younger children.
That said, other families really enjoy getting out and about even when the kids are little, and that's cool too. I have a friend who has taken her small children to Hawaii, to Disneyland, and other places. She's high-energy and loves to travel, so that works for her family.
Parent-child travel is definitely very meaningful for the growth of children. However, children of different ages and genders have different characteristics on vacations and there are some interesting trends.
Last update on May 30, 9:24 am by megera39.