Advertisements
Advertisements
We have an adopted multi-racial son. My understanding is that at time of sealing, our DNA and our family history becomes his. Can anyone source that for me? Also - he's older now and I'm wondering about him helping to search for birth family history ... is that sending duo-messages? If you have experience or opinions I'd appreciate hearing from you!
Hi Denalee! That's an interesting question. For sure, your son would be able to do family history work/temple work for ancestors from his adoptive family tree. But can he also submit names from his biological ancestors? It looks like he can. This is what the church website says:
"You are responsible to submit names of the following individuals for temple work (the individuals must have been deceased for at least one year):
-Immediate family members
-Direct-line ancestors
You may also submit the names of the following individuals who have been deceased for at least one year:
-Biological, adoptive, and foster family lines connected to your family.
-Collateral family lines (uncles, aunts, cousins, and their families).
-Your own descendants.
-Possible ancestors, meaning individuals who have a probable family relationship that cannot be verified because the records are inadequate, such as those who have the same last name and resided in the same area as your known ancestors.
Source:
So YOUR family history is his family history - but if he's interested in researching his birth family history, I would encourage him to do so, too. There's just something about knowing about your physical, biological roots. I don't think you're sending mixed messages. And it's a great way to find names for temple work that may not have otherwise been found!
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
rskousen,
Thank you so much for posting this information. As an adoptee, I have heard that I can participate in my biological family history but was unsure where to find support for that. This helped to clear it up.
Erika Smith
1 Liked
 likes this.