Advertisements
Advertisements
I've read so many instances, lately, where adult adoptees have searched through Facebook and found members of their birth families. It seems to me like it might be a little risky - people scamming (for whatever sick reason they may have) and proclaiming to be related. The ups and downs of that have got to be horrible! Has anyone out there conducted a search through social media - where you post your photo and statistics and then hope it gets shared? Any success? I understand searching for a specific person on FB or elsewhere could really lead to success ... but I'd like to know more about how it works when you don't have a name or anything.
There are two different types of Facebook search groups. There are passive ones, where you post all the info you have and hope that the person you are looking for runs across it. Aside from being risky, the chances are pretty slim to have success that way. Not that it doesn't happen, but the chance is much smaller. Then there are active search groups, where you post all the info you have and the members actively work your case. Many people are successful that way. Some members on there have paid subscriptions to sites that give you more information.
Advertisements
My adopted daughter in law set up a page using her Japanese name to try and maybe tract attention of her family. So far it hasn't worked. We actively have searched but have not found anyone. Some accounts appear abandoned or they do not reply. It would work much better if you are born in the US.
Make sure to DNA test and if you have any family names now try familysearch.org.
How to avoid scams, when they mention money never communicate with them again. Or if the story sounds fishy, have a friend take over the communications. That is one reason why I do a lot of my daughter in laws search. I can weed through the BS and get to the point of getting the information or dropping them. So far I have not ran across any scams but I have heard of it happening.
1 Liked
 likes this.