Advertisements
Advertisements
The Advocacy and the Conferences that Natalie has suggested.
If you have not gone previously?
Are beyond ' Stellar ' and Awesome!!
Gives your ability or ideas of Parenting or Parenting Techniques a whole new or a broader spectrum . To ' Grow as a Family and as a Parent ' from!!
Are also a great way to ' In Person ' or ' Intimately ' Connect and have a Relationship with People from the Forums. Rather than a ' World Wide Web' or Internet Only Relationship!!
Advertisements
The Advocacy and the Conferences that Natalie has suggested.
If you have not gone previously?
Are beyond ' Stellar ' and Awesome!!
Gives your ability or ideas of Parenting or Parenting Techniques a whole new or a broader spectrum . To ' Grow as a Family and as a Parent ' from!!
Are also a great way to ' In Person ' or ' Intimately ' Connect and have a Relationship with People from the Forums. Rather than a ' World Wide Web' or Internet Only Relationship!!
I agree with NB, the limbo is hardest for me. You are totally rearranging things in your life to fit these kids in and you are expected to just "do it". Yet you have no actual say in most matters and decisions are told to you afterwards, if at all, without any of your input. As a kinship caregiver I have been told that it's my "responsibility" as family to do what we are doing.
And for me, it hurts knowing that sometimes the parents aren't willing to put forth half the effort that you are for THEIR child/children.
Our Home State of California and in most states.
The Advocacy is reunification with the Birth Parents or some typing of relative , for any child who is under the age of 10!!
Advertisements
Recently, I was able to mediate an online discussion panel in which two former foster youth spoke out about their thoughts and feelings while in care in order to give foster parents better insight to emotions of the kids in their care. As a foster and adoptive parent I found it very interesting to hear what they had to say. The encouraging part for me was the fact that I was talking to a published author and a successful music artist. On my worst days I have to wonder if I'm even helping the children in my home and I have to fight despair. These two individuals showed me that there is always hope for each child - the situations look different but there is always hope.
http://transfiguringadoption.com/former-foster-you...
1 Liked
 likes this.
The hardest part, for my family, is phone calls.
Our four year old gets phone calls twice a week with grandma, who is hateful and manipulative, and constantly makes empty promises to him. Same with his bio dad when he calls in. Bio mom always talks to him on the phone as if nothing has changed and all is well, which makes me angry.
The phone calls make him have behaviors like screaming fits and hitting (usually the day of or after phone call). At four he already knows his bio family is full of it and won't change.
Luckily his phone calls are getting changed to therapy days, which will make it a little easier on us not having to deal with bio family and it will give him a very healthy environment where his behaviors and the things the bio family is saying can be monitored by a professional.
Oh man, Darcy. That sounds so rough. I'm sorry. And you're so right - it's one of those situations unique to foster care that you really don't have much control over. Hugs to you!