Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi All :)
It's nice to know some people still use forums!
A little about me(us).
My name is Brandy, DH and I have been married 5 years. We have 3 bio children DS 10 (my stepson) DS 7, Ds 4.
We also have a beautiful FD (10months)
We are first time foster parents and have had our little girl for 6 months, after a failed adoption and disrupted kinship placement.
Last week our case plan changed to severance/adoption recommended adoption by placement(Us)
Fd was born exposed to Meth and Heroin, but thankfully not addicted. BM was 17 years old and placed her for adoption. After 48 hours, BM changed her mind and took Fd back where she was removed by DCS hours later. Due to domestic violence, substantial drug use, and incarceration while Bio was pregnant.
Bm & Bd failed to list any appropriate relatives causing Fd to go into congregate care for 2 months. At 2 months old, a distant aunt was placed with FD(NL kinship), it was short lived when her husband was charged for selling cocaine out of their home.
We received FD at 4months old as an emergency placement. Up until this point, BM had maybe seen her 3 times. [Bd has never seen her(10m in care)]
Once we got our pretty girl, Bm noticed how well she was taken care of upon our first CFT, Mom started coming to visits, and even went into inpatient rehab. It was the first attempt(out of 4 denied referrals) since baby was born to get better. Rehab was an epic fail unfortunately, as mom stole credit cards from her therapy coaches, and went on a meth binge. Luckily for her, they did not press charges, but they did file a report.
Since about 6m in care, BM has only seen FD about 5 times. She is allotted 8 visits per month and maybe comes to 2. Our FD has no bond or attachment to her BM. Once rehab wasn't a success, Mom began using harder than ever. This time, IV meth and heroin use. She stopped participating in services, dropping, coming to visits etc. We are going on the 12th visit in a row, missed or cancelled by BM.
Last week, the judge changed our case plan to severance and adoption, and moments after, Bio Dad (for the FIRST time ever) stormed in the court room like Father of the Year! I was shocked. Despite his words of affirmation, the Judge basically told him its too little too late. We are awaiting our initial severance hearing and I can't help but wonder if BD is actually going to try now. He and Mom admitted to IV use prior to the hearing last week.
BD is currently homeless, shelter hopping and has a few criminal cases he needs to take care of. BM lives with paternal GMA who is the biggest enabler on this planet.
BD has not signed the birth certificate or taken the paternity test up to this point.
GAL and CM are pushing for our family to adopt as the bonding and attachment with FD and our family is being taken very seriously. CM says at this time, kinship will not be considered due to time in care.
How common is it for case plans to go back to Reunify once change to Severance? and given the info, what should we expect at our Initial Severance Hearing? Any input is greatly appreciated :)
Thanks so much,
Britt Fam
PAGE: TOP | BOTTOM Quote Edit like Post Options
Advertisements
Your question depends on a lot of factors.
What is the Advocacy in your home state for reunification??
Example my home state the total Advocacy for under the age of 10 years old is reunification with the Parents or some other type of relative.
' Dad ' is entitled to Legal Representation. How convincing could or would he be to an Attorney. How much of a ' Powehorse' or ' Powerball ' could the Attorney be in Court.
Professionally and as a Foster Mom since 2000. How ' pushy ' can ' Dad ' get with the ' Enabler Relative ?? '
' Dad ' probably realizes that he can get Government Assistance . That does not have much accountability as well also??
For him to be able to do more ' Chemical Dependency ' with !!
The Mom's visits ' allotment ' are more than Parents in my home state receive as much also and how much is this ' worth ' ??
Hi Brady!
What a rocky story you have. I wish I could give you advice from past experience but I can't. I hope you will find success in the process and have your sweet little one apart of your family forever.
Good Luck and God Bless!
Similar situation with a friend of mine. Her son was in foster care and at the point of being adopted. Her parents found out and got him. In New York, until you're in front of the judge, a family member can come forward and child can be placed with him/her.
Advertisements
Update:
Our initial severance hearing was March 13th.
Bio dad was severed by default and bio mom requested a settlement to relinquish. Settlement was April 24th and mom changed her mind, and started minimally complying after an entire year of nothing. Our first day of trial was May 8th and it was continued to June 9, with the possibility of dismissal and resubmission in a few months. While she was dropping clean for a month she did drop dirty again last week for meth. Praying it doesn't drag out too much longer. Thank you guys for the support.
I don't mean or I don't want to ' Burst your Bubble ' , but my state California takes 18 months for a case like yours . I would post a different thread, and also post what or for the Forum for your ' Home
State ' ...