Advertisements
Advertisements
Yes, it is ethically possible, but emotionally and financially .
The waiting process from start to child physically either a picture or in your arms is very long!!
Advertisements
I believe it is possible, but definitely something you'll need to pursue with eyes wide open. Posting here for guidance is a great start! Jen Hatmaker recently did a series on her blog about adoption ethics. I recommend taking a look at it . . .
I would look at our State Department's and Immigration's Websites...
I would go to my or our local Libraries and check out books on International Adoption . As well as Adopting from Ethiopia.
I know a Mom of 6 who are all Adopted from Ethiopia. I think she has a ' Blog ' and she or they still live in San Diego , California.
I know of 2 other Families. They who have Adopted Baby Girls . Who live in Winnipeg, Canada.
I would join the Ethiopia ' Yahoo ' and other Adoption Groups and converse or meet people who have Adopted from Ethiopia...
Last update on February 9, 10:14 pm by Juli Hawley.
It is still possible, but extensive reviews of adoption cases by the Ethiopian and U.S. governments, to ensure that everything has been done legally and ethically, are making the timeframes lengthy and causing families in process some anxiety. Delays in processing cases caused by reviews for legal and ethical issues are in addition to those commonly experienced in the country -- for example, the two month summer vacation taken by the First Instance Court Adoptions Bench. The U.S. Embassy in Addis Ababa also reports difficulty in getting interviews with Ethiopian officials who can help them determine whether a child truly meets the "orphan definition", and also notes that, in 2016, personnel turnovers at the Ministry of Women and Children's Affairs resulted in slowdowns in processing adoption cases. For more information, go to adoption.state.gov -- the website of the U.S. State Department's adoption unit -- and click on Ethiopia in the drop-down box marked "Learn about a country". When you get to the Ethiopia page, click on "Expand All".
Before starting an adoption from Ethiopia, be aware of the following:
1. Under the Universal Accreditation Act, Americans adopting from non-Hague countries like Ethiopia, as well as from Hague countries, must use a Hague-accredited U.S. agency as their primary provider. The agency is supposed to review every aspect of your adoption process to ensure that it complies with U.S. requirements and the requirements of the foreign country. To find a Hague-accredited agency, go to the State Department website, which contains a list; it also contains information on agencies that have lost accreditation. Remember that you can use a Hague-accredited agency located anywhere in the U.S., as long as you have a homestudy done in your state of residence by a provider acceptable to the Hague-accredited agency.
2. Ethiopia also has a process for determining which American agencies are allowed to work in that country, so check to be sure that the Hague-accredited agency has Ethiopia's current permission to place children with U.S. families; you can ask the agency to show you a letter of authorization from the Ethiopian government or contact the U.S. Embassy in Ethiopia.
3. Be sure to check agency references carefully, going beyond the names of familiies provided by the agency. Look for people who adopted from Ethiopia in recent months, and ask them about their experiences. You may also want to contact the U.S. Embassy in Ethiopia, to see if a given agency has had families denied visas because of alleged problems involving the "eligible orphan" status of the child or alleged improprieties in the relinquishment or adoption process. While the Embassy will have limitations on what it is allowed to tell you, you may get some information that may help you decide whether to use that agency.
4. Remember that neither you nor your agency may obtain custody of a child directly from a biological parent (unless you are a close biological relative of the child). There is a formal process by which a family may relinquish a child to an orphanage, which involves obtaining the approval of a local government agency, and abandoned children are considered to be wards of the goverrnment, which must approve placements.
5. Also remember that, just because a child is in an orphanage, it does not guarantee that he/she is available for adoption. As in many countries, Ethiopians sometimes use orphanages for temporary foster care, until a parent deals with a family crisis. The parent may never agree to relinquish parental rights and make the child available for adoption, even if the child is in the orphanage for an extended period of time, and that is his/her right. In addition, even if the child was legally relinquished under Ethiopian law, there may still be some question by the U.S. government about his/her status as an "eligible orphan"
All in all, I think that Ethiopia and the U.S. have made important strides towards rooting out corruption in the Ethiopian adoption process. Unfortunately, there are always people who prey on individuals who desperately want to become parents or who are having family problems that make it difficult for them to raise their children. Even China, considered to have one of the cleanest international adoption processes, has had situations in which traffickers kidnapped children and sold them to orphanages, so that the orphanages could place them for adoption and get the government-required orphanage contribution from overseas parents. What's important is that both Ethiopia and the U.S. recognize the problems that have existed in Ethiopian adoption, and are putting forth major efforts to eliminate activities that harm children, their birthparents, and their adoptive families. I can only hope that the efforts are successful and do not lead to a complete shutdown of adoptions from Ethiopia, as such a shutdown would also be harmful.
I wish you well in your plans to bring an Ethiopian child into your home and heart.
Sharon
Advertisements