Advertisements
Advertisements
We are in the process of adopting our current foster children, ages 4 & 9. They have been with us for almost a full year as foster placements. The 9 yr old has a diagnosis of Adjustment Disorder. The 4 yr old has diagnosises of Adjustment Disorder, OCD, possible RAD, (and in my opinion ODD). We are currently to the subsidy negotiation part. We currently received around $2400.00 per month for both kids for our foster care pay. The subsidy we were offered was $456. We would like to be able to get closer to our current pay. When I told the worker that, she almost laughed at me and said that is not happening.
How do you go about negotiating this with the county?
Advertisements
Both as a Mom and Professionally. I am questioning why you are not looking for ' Public Assistance ' outside of Foster Care or the System ??
Social Security and Medicaid are both ' Income Based ', but they would give you $600 more than what the state has offered you. '
Inside of Foster Care , the state is responsible for their welfare and medical expenses.
Once Adoption takes place as Parents . You then pick up that or their realistic expectation..
Both as a Mom and Professionally.
I would question what your expectations are as Parents.
I would put in writing not verbal and not just an opinion or ' Mom's Intuition ' of what your expectations are as Parents.
I would be a ' Team ' as Parents or ' On the same page ' with what your expectations are as Parents.
Last update on February 15, 12:35 pm by Juli Hawley.
Professionally and as a Mom also I would contact Parents who use your County Foster Care Services and ask them what their expectations are ??
Are you at all in alignment with their figures and or expectations??
1 Liked
 likes this.
Did you get a psychiatrist's evaluation? With those diagnoses, they'll need therapy, possibly meds, there may be problems with school. A doctor filled out what my kids went through and it went from there. I don't think you'd get a lot with the 4 year old but you need to try with the 9 year old. There will also be wear and tear on your house and belongings. BTDT.
As I understand it, the subsidy for foster care is actually payment for room, board, and general caregiving, as well as medical services. Once a child has been adopted, the adoptive family is responsible for room and board and caregiving. The adoption subsidy is supposed to help with medical care for a child who has special needs, but not the other things. And any adoptive family should be told, early on, that neither the foster care subsidy nor the much smaller adoption subsidy will cover the full costs of a child's care. Most families find it necessary to pay a great deal of additional money to obtain the best quality medical services, especially for a child with complex medical or psychiatric issues, for schooling, and even for clothing since a child often comes with very little in the way of possessions.
Frankly, I think that adoption from foster care is too often described as virtually cost free. Yes, the foster care agency will usually cover the cost of the homestudy and other adoption paperwork, so a family won't spend as much on the process as if they were doing a domestic newborn adoption or an international adoption. But the actual cost of raising a former foster child is going to be just as costly as raising any other child, or even more so. The adoption tax credit helps most adoptive families a bit, and the adoption subsidy helps foster care families a bit more, but anyone thinking that raising a child adopted from foster care will be cheap is, unfortunately, mistaken.
Advertisements
Leeann;
You have not responded to any of us to date, and I am curious to how negotiations are going please??
Juli
Leann, what Sharon said is true for our foster care system in Oregon. I am wondering if you just need to make sure that your state's foster care/adoption system is the same. And maybe tally up the medical costs, etc and see about contacting another social worker (I know that is easier said than done). Your social worker should be fighting with you, not scoffing at you.
Our State of California has privitized and dissolved it's Role with Foster Care,
Are you dealing with a State or Privatized Agency as well also??
Advertisements
Natalie;
I can see both Professionally and as a Mom. Why the Social Worker feels Leann is being unrealistic...
I feel that we as a ' Community ' also need more details in order to Advocate or assist Leann??
Natalie;
As of January 1st 2017, our State of California 's Foster Care System has been dissolved by the State of California and care has been ' Privitized since January 1st, 2017.
I can see both Professionally and as a Mom. Why the Social Worker feels Leann is being unrealistic...
I feel as both a Professional and as a Mom.
That we as a ' Community ' also . That we need more details or the ' Whole Story ' isn't being told here in order to Advocate or assist Leann??
Oh yes, I hear you. I just have a few friends who adopted out of foster care and their subsidy was only $100 less a month because their financial needs medically/with appointments are the same. BUT it was less than $500/month or so...so a lot less to begin with. So, I just figure if you really are looking at expenses that are special needs expenses (which, therapy and such usually are considered that...), the state usually helps with that. But also, yes, there are resources like Early Intervention therapists that should be of help too.
Natalie;
I feel that we as a ' Community ' also need more details, or the Entire Story is not being told in order to Advocate or assist Leann??
Advertisements
Natalie;
I feel that we as a ' Community ' also need more details, or the Entire Story is not being told in order to Advocate or assist Leann??
If child has been or is considered ' Disabled or Handicapped since Birth. '
They would also qualify, but it is also dependent on your Family's yearly income.
Food Stamps, WIC , Health Insurance or Medical Benefits, and $1,600 per month through Social Security Benefits.
You also can not apply until the child is fully or 200% your own child as well also!!