Advertisements
Advertisements
Our landlord is refusing to make minor repairs and we are afraid that it might cause us to fail our homestudy. He claims that certain repairs aren't necessary or that it's a "cosmetic thing" ( like old icky peeling wallpaper in the bathroom) and isn't going to pay to have it replaced. (things were like this when we moved in). My Husband has already done a lot cosmetically for this house so that my kids and i may come to live with him. But I'm so afraid because the Landlord refused to do these repairs that we won't get approved. Any advice?
The ' Home Study ' process
Would most likely or should understand your situation.
Would focus more on how your Family deals or lives in the home or ' tough situations. '
When I first started. We lived in a Mobile Home , and I converted a closet into a Nursery.
I would also ask other People. Who can be subjective and or judgemental, Truthful and honest.
How do they see your ' Home in General ' ??
Advertisements
Are you asking your Property Management as well also ??
If you did the repairs.
Would Property Management deduct your costs from the rent??
Are you asking your Property Management as well also ??
If you did the repairs.
Would Property Management deduct your costs from the rent??
If your rental home does not meet local health, safety, fire, and occupancy standards, and if it does not meet state requirements for placement of children, you will fail your homestudy. In fact, you shouldn't even be living in a place that does not meet code. And your property could be condemned if the landlord does not bring it up to code.
That being said, it sounds as if you are not talking about code issues, if one of your concerns is icky bathroom wallpaper. Homestudy social workers don't care about cosmetic issues. They don't care about whether your furniture matches, whether the dog took a bite of your coffee table, whether the tub is permanently discolored, whether your closets are neatly organized. They don't even care if you have a few dust bunnies under the bed. What they are looking for is a home that is safe and welcoming. Basically, if you could have your in-laws or your boss over for dinner, your home is probably fine.
Now, if the icky bathroom wallpaper is covered with black mold that could be toxic, that could be a safety and health issue. Since it is not particularly expensive to replace wallpaper in a small bathroom, I'd suggest that,if your landlord won't do it, you do the work yourself or hire a wallpaper installer. Or, better yet, strip the wallpaper and paint the bathroom; paint will last longer than wallpaper. And while you're at it, install an exhaust fan in the bathroom and use it whenever you bathe or shower, to keep the room from staying damp and steamy for long periods of time, creating ideal conditions for mold.
Find out about the laws in your jurisdiction, concerning things like smoke detectors, what is considered a legal bedroom (usually must have a window and a closet), how many people can occupy a home of your home's size, fences around bodies of water, railings on staircases, broken appliances or windows, etc. And find out if there are any specific state requirements for adopted children in a home, such as room square footage. Get any of those things fixed, if possible, or move to a place that has no code violations or barriers to placement of a child. As far as cosmetic things, they are usually a tenant's responsibility. So if you want to put up drapes or shelving, and have the money to do so, fine; that's your choice. But the social worker won't really care
Sharon