Advertisements
Advertisements
We are on our possible third foster care adoption and feel so out of our elements! The first two were matched foster adoption so we knew termination was going to happen right after they were placed--they were straight forward cases. Now fast forward 3 years and we though we were done but took a temporary foster placement of a special needs infant straight out of the hospital "just 2 weeks then the baby would be going with an Aunt" case. The baby has now been with us 18 months and no family came forward all this time so we said yes when asked if we would adopt baby. At the last hearing mom started throwing out names of people she wants to take the baby. Mom told me that the plan is for a family member to take baby and then hand the baby over to her. (she likes to tell all at visits--no filter) At the next hearing in a couple of weeks we will see what happens but so nervous. None of these people have ever seen the baby nor do they know his medical issues and all the care that is involved to keep him healthy and trying to get him to catch up developmentally. Things could go either way. We do have DeFacto status but family trumps that. Anyone have advice on how to not go crazy over thinking everything that could possibly happen and what has happened so far.
Advertisements
Ask for as much visitation as possible.
Not think about it. The Court's only focus is to Act in the Best Interests of this ' Little One ' !!
I don't know if ya'll would Advocate this, but sometimes ' Contempting Court ' . Prior to the Judge rendering his or her decision works...
By standing up unannounced in Court and saying how ya'll and as a Family feel about this ' Little One ' as well also!!
First, for your sanity, I'd recommend putting it in God's hands, trusting that he loves that little child as much as you do.
Second, make sure that you attend every court hearing. Make sure that your voice is heard. Make a list of your concerns about the child leaving your care. Talk to any caseworkers who will be speaking on your child's behalf. Make sure they understand your child's needs. Give them a copy of your list. Make it clear that you are this child's number one advocate, that you want what's best for him.
I'm sure this is heart-rending for you. Please let us know how it goes.
Advertisements
I know it is hard but I wouldn't stress too much about what bm says. She may just be wishful thinking. Stay in close contact with the CSW so that he or she tells you if they are investigating other options. Totally agree with attending the hearings. I get more information at these than anywhere else.