Advertisements
Advertisements
I've heard that one of the advantages of adopting through an agency is the education you receive in the process. Is there a way to do that independently? Classes online? Books? What topics do you think new adoptive parents absolutely HAVE to understand?
Advertisements
I work Professionally in Juvenile Dependency.
Alot of Parents just feel that all that the child or children need is love??
I wish that the process was easier, but I have Kids who can't attach, and the Parents themselves get frustrated with being up half the night again or going through ' personal hygiene training ' for the first time at an Older age...
I need more input or logistics from you of what you are also trying to accomplish or to ask please??
I guess I'm looking for books/courses/topics that are essential for people adopting. Of course there would be some variation depending on circumstances (newborn adoption, transracial adoption, open adoption, older child adoption ), but what topics would need to be addressed to help prepare adoptive parents for effective parenting?
Our local Community Colleges Systems, Community Education or Adult Education Programs have tons of classes .
Driving towards either ' Bonding and Attachment ', ' Parenting Issues , ' ' Parenting Support and Advice. ' and Mental Health Advocacy...
' Meetup.com ' has other Resources as well also locally or by ' Zip Coding ..'
Are you looking via the internet, Telephone book or ???
Our Local Community Colleges Systems, Community and Adult Education Programs have tons of classes.
i just took a 4 and a half Infant Toddler class on ' Play ' on Saturday.
' Driving ' towards ' Bonding and Attachment, ' ' Education Advocacy, ' ' Mental Health and Chemical Dependency or Substance Abuse . ' ' Parenting The Hurt Child , ' ' Parenting Issues , ' and ' General Parent Support, '
' Meetup .com' I found personally to be somewhat ' Cliquey ' , but it is also a ' Wealth of Information '..
Are you looking by Internet, Telephone Book, or how are you looking??
Advertisements
Our local Community College , Community Education and Adult Education classes through the High School have a ton of Parenting Classes.
Driving towards, ' Attachment Parenting , ' ' Parenting the Heart and Hurt Child ', ' General Parenting Issues . ' and ' Mental Health and Substance Abuse ' .
I found to be rather ' Clique ' and ' Catfighty' but ' Meetup.com ' also has a ton of ' Free Resources ' . By Zipcode as well also..
Last update on February 28, 8:18 am by Juli Hawley.
In answer to your question also.
Alot of Families feel emotionally that all the child needs are ' Hugs, Tickles, and Cuddles ', and Kids will be fine.
Independently and Professionally to me . You sound very well or awesomely Educated !!
How well do you feel that you are prepared to Parent anything 24 hours a day and 7 days a week??
1 Liked
 likes this.
I'm not sure . . . I was just looking for peoples' opinions about topics I may not have thought about delving into yet!
Totally agree with your quote, though! I've got three kids who teach me every day! I wish I could take the lessons I've learned in the first 10 years of my oldest kiddo's life and raise him all over again. :)
Advertisements
Our Family lives on a ' Ranch ' and I just had a school assignment .
Where I had to let go of my ' Animal Cruelty ' Baggage and or Fears.
Which with ' Foster Care and Foster to Adopt ' . Is my only non comfort level.
Which or that I do not feel educated in??
Yes, with choosing to parent traumatized children I think there are a LOT of fears that need to be let go of. Are you a foster mom?
Honestly, though, I just worry that I'm not up to the task. That I wouldn't be patient enough. I have a child who is a real patience-tester and I don't always pass that test. I don't want to re-traumatize already traumatized children.
Does that particular child ( Boy or Girl ) expect Perfection from you as a Parent??
I find with Daily Scheduling . That I have more energy and more patience!!
Also set Limits in the Kids Scheduling.
I have friends who own 3 Dental Clinics . As well as who have 5 Kids . Each in besides 6 hours of school. 10 different Extra Curricular Activities.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
We have Adopted Internationally from Asia , and Latin and Central America. As well as the United States Foster Care System yes...
1 Liked
 likes this.
My son is very forgiving of my shortcomings, bless him. And we're very low-key about extracurriculars. A kiddo has to be super passionate about something for me to enroll them in it - I want them to have as much time as possible to play and explore freestyle! We do a little soccer here, a little karate there, but not too much. Your friends must not sleep!!