Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm relatively new to the adoption world, and I'm finding there are a lot of surprising things about this whole other culture. I was talking with an adoptive mother not long ago that told me people are more interested in adopting a little girl. Baby boys have a harder time being adopted. I found this so surprising! I'm always under the impression that people hoping to adopt will accept either gender.
What other things have you found that are surprising about adoption, personal experience or otherwise?
https://adoption.com/things-that-surprised-me-abou...
I'd never really thought very deeply about adoptee issues before becoming a part of the adoption community, and there were a few surprises for me there.
For example, before I became a part of the adoption community, I remember a friend telling me that since she had adopted a child from the Marshall Islands, her family was now "multicultural." I thought that was the weirdest thing. Wasn't the adopted baby's culture now just her family's culture? But after learning more about transracial adoption and identity issues and the importance of giving adopted children access to their birth cultures, I understood where she was coming from.
I was also really shocked to learn that most states in the US don't allow adoptees access to their original birth certificates. Blows my mind.
Advertisements
Yes, the whole birth certificate dilemma is surprising to me too. I feel like I really have no idea what it's like to be an adoptee, so you don't really think about all the big differences there are.
Hello there,
are you pregnant & considering Adoption?" gift of life adoptions" is a site who will provide you the facilities what you really need.Gift of Life Adoptions is a state-wide agency serving all counties in Florida. their staff has extensive experience with Interventions in cases where the state is involved so do not hesitiate to contact us about those situations.Birth parents, as well as adoptive parents, create their own adoption plan. For more details, please visit :
Thank You
When I first placed, I thought the level of openness in my adoption was totally normal. As time has gone on, I have realized that my adoption is much more open than most. The concept of 'openness' was foreign to me, and I had no idea how complicated it could be! I didn't realize there was a spectrum that ranged from closed to semi open to open.
Advertisements