Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone happen to know what minimum standards says about adults sharing a jack and Jill bath with foster kids? My sister is my roommate and her bedroom shares both a bathroom and a closet with the future foster child room. There's a second closet in there, so the idea is to replace the doorknob with a double cylinder locking doorknob and I'll keep that key locked up with the medication. But I'm not sure if I should just leave the jack and jill bath doorknobs alone. They have an old fashioned skeleton key door lock on both sides. The house came with a key and I've tested it out and it sort of locks the door. Honestly, I just find the door knobs to be really pretty and as a renter, I'm unsure how many changes I can get away with lol.
So has anyone had this situation come up when getting licensed?
I'm pretty sure in Texas you have to have 40 sq ft per child, but I couldn't find anything about Jack and Jill bathrooms. I also know that a child has to have a certain number of bedrooms depending on how many live there, so that the child may feel safe and have privacy. If the doors lock to the bathroom, I think that's sufficient enough, personally, but I would check with your social worker when you complete a home study. Good luck! And let us know if you find out anything more--this is an interesting questions and surely you can't be the only foster parent with J&J bathrooms.
Advertisements
I don't know about Texas, but in some states, you can be approved even if you have only one bathroom for all the residents of the house, within reason.
And I've seen homes where families have disabled the bathroom lock, because the young child once locked the door and couldn't figure out how to unlock it.
If you have a second bathroom and very strict laws in your state, I'd suggest that you lock the Jack and Jill bath on your sister's side, and have her share the other bath with you. Then, your foster child can use the Jack and Jill bath, with no one intruding.
Sharon