Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband of one year, (we've been together for three years) and I are currently trying to terminate my ex boyfriends rights to my 4 year old daughter. He has not seen nor contacted us since she was 9 months old, my husband came into her life when she was a year and a half old, he supports her, and loves her, she calls him daddy and they have a very strong bond. My ex has not provided a single thing for her, nor called or texted about her well being. It's been 3 1/2 years since we heard from him. My ex was extremely abusive, physically and mentally throughout our entire relationship, I have a police report stating he him while I was pregnant because I would not let him smoke a cigarette in my car.. I had a 3 year pfa against him for the abuse that just expired this past October. I have multiple texts from him threatening me and stating he doesn't have a daughter, tell her he died before she was born, if I pay him he'll leave me alone, the messages go on and on... The pfa stated he could contact my mother in regards to visitation of my child, he saw her twice after the pfa took affect and that was all. Fast forward to 4 months after we were granted the PFA, He was charged with 4 counts of felony possession of heroin, 7 identity theft, and access device issued to another person, all felonies. He broke into my mothers truck and stole her credit cards stealing over 7,000 dollars out of her bank account, he was also caught selling heroin to a DA informant 3 separate times. He was sentenced to 2 years in jail because he signed a plea deal. He was just recently released from jail to a halfway house. He wrote multiple letters from prison after 3 years of no contact, simply asking how my daughter was since the last time he saw her then apologizing for his actions. 2 weeks after he sent me the first letter I received another letter stating he was moving to Maryland then the country of Hungry when he was out of jail and off probation. We retained an attorney and filed in the courts to terminate his rights and have my husband adopt her. First hearing, his father shows up on his behalf stating they want a continuance so they can obtain an attorney, and my ex wasn't there because he was incarcerated they judge grants it and tells his dad they better have an attorney at the next hearing... We just had the next hearing yesterday, this time my ex showed up 20 minutes late stating he wants an attorney appointed to him and he's contesting the adoption, he said "he's changed for the better , wants to go to school, get a job and provide a life for his daughter", the judge granted another continuance so he has time to get representation.. the judge stated to us that he granted it so he did not have grounds for an appeal later on down the road. The GAL that's appointed to our case is recommending termination .. I also have his estranged sister that he molested when he was 15 as a witness for court, she's testifying against him! I'm an absolute nervous wreck. Can someone give me any advice on TPR hearings? Has anyone ever been through it?! What was the outcome? Please help!! I'm desperate..
No but good luck. Honestly, your ex may be granted visitation. You need to insist that it be supervised due to the molestation charge. Not sure how much weight judges put on that. Get in the mindset that he may be in your daughter's life.
Advertisements