Advertisements
Advertisements
Adopting internationally can be tricky because you're not there for much of the adoption process. That leaves a lot of opportunities for unethical things to happen. For example, I know a couple who believed the child they were adopting was an orphan, but after they met their child, they learned that he was not actually an orphan but had been taken from his mother. This of course broke their hearts, and they have made every effort to find his birth mother but with no success thus far. How can you make sure this type of thing isn't happening if you're so far away during the process?
International Adoption has changed with the ' Hague Treaty' .
Families used to be able to Adopt Anywhere. Without utilizing an Agency.
Now with the requirements of utilizing an Hague Approved Agency only.
Check the Agency with Licensing and Better Business Bureaus.
Look at the Agency's Record with United States Immigration Services.
Request both Positive and Negative Experiences Agency References.
Choose a Country that is Ethical with Advocacy of Children, Families and Overseas or In-Country Adoptions
Advertisements
Our Family had 3 Daughters one Infant and 2 School Age .
Who were also taken from their Birth Families and placed for Adoption without knowledge or consent.
This ' Adoption Trend ' should have been better Advocated in the Best Interests of the Children!!!
I heard about a similar situation with an Ethiopian adoption. What the adoptive mother said she learned later is that she should have hired a private detective in the country to investigate the child's familial situation before going through with the adoption.
That might be a well-advised thing to do if you're pursuing an adoption in a country that is not party to the Hague convention for adoption.
I can only imagine how hard that would be for that family and the poor child involved! I don't know a lot about international adoption, but I have a friend who adopted an orphan from China and she said that having a reputable agency is key when adopting internationally. The process took several years, but she has a beautiful little girl now!
Advertisements
What I would recommend of any Adoption Agency.
Is to ask for both ' Positive ' and ' Negative ' Families experiences.
As well as contact the Agency's Licensing Division. And their Area's ' Better Business Bureau '