Advertisements
Advertisements
There are so many misconceptions out there about adoption and foster care. What are some of your favorite ways to help educate the general public about these topics?
I am definitely an activist in this area. I go into high schools and speak to sex ed classes, talking to them about teen pregnancy and adoption as an option. I write lots of articles and blog posts about adoption. I have t-shirts that I wear frequently with quotes like "adoption is love" or "talk about adoption"
On a more everyday level, I find that just being open about my story and being myself invites a lot of educational opportunities. I post on facebook and Instagram about my adoption story and that sparks a lot of interaction. As a birth mother, I think the biggest thing I can do to bust myths is to be open and proud, instead of feeling ashamed of my story.
Advertisements
I use my blog as a tool to teach people about adoption. I did a "Confessions Of An Adoptive Mom" post and there was a really positive response to it. I basically just did a brief overview of proper terminology and frequently asked questions. It helped dispel a lot of the misconceptions that some people had about adoption and opened the floor for discussion.