Advertisements
Advertisements
There are so many misconceptions out there about adoption and foster care. What are some of your favorite ways to help educate the general public about these topics?
Advertisements
I am definitely an activist in this area. I go into high schools and speak to sex ed classes, talking to them about teen pregnancy and adoption as an option. I write lots of articles and blog posts about adoption. I have t-shirts that I wear frequently with quotes like "adoption is love" or "talk about adoption"
On a more everyday level, I find that just being open about my story and being myself invites a lot of educational opportunities. I post on facebook and Instagram about my adoption story and that sparks a lot of interaction. As a birth mother, I think the biggest thing I can do to bust myths is to be open and proud, instead of feeling ashamed of my story.
I use my blog as a tool to teach people about adoption. I did a "Confessions Of An Adoptive Mom" post and there was a really positive response to it. I basically just did a brief overview of proper terminology and frequently asked questions. It helped dispel a lot of the misconceptions that some people had about adoption and opened the floor for discussion.