Advertisements
Advertisements
Many (but not all) adoptive parents choose to adopt due to infertility. I know a lot of people who, since they adopted, have become very outspoken about their love for adoption and how much it has blessed their lives. I sometimes wonder if they would still feel the same way if they could go back in time and conceive biological children. For those of you who struggle with fertility issues, do you think you would still have adopted or be considering adoption if you didn't have that struggle?
Advertisements
Absolutely! Adoption has been a dream of mine since I was literally a child. I tried to get my parents to do foster care and/or adopt. I told my husband while we were still dating that I wanted to adopt and this was before I knew I would have trouble carrying full term. I'm not sure exactly what drew me to adoption so much, but I have always felt a pull. Even if our first son had lived, I like to think we still would have pursued adoption when we had because I can't imagine life without the son we adopted. Our infertility struggles probably made us more proactive about adopting sooner rather than later though.
Many people who are brought to adoption because of infertility would likely not have come to it if they could have biological children - but I don't think that diminishes their love for adoption. Say you go to a restaurant and order the house special - an amazing dish you've heard about from all your friends - and the waiter tells you it's not available. He recommends an alternative dish and you order that instead - and it turns out to be the best meal you've ever eaten. Sure, you might wonder what that other meal might have been like - but you are SO GRATEFUL for the delicious entree you were able to experience instead.