Advertisements
Advertisements
I read an article today on USA Today (https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/04/22/adoption-proves-no-less-exhausting-couple-who-tried-all/100469306/) about a couple who went through IUI and four rounds of IVF before deciding to pursue adoption. But after going through the adoption process twice, the woman is saying that even though she'd always wanted more children, she didn't think she could do it again. "I'll just have two," is what she's saying now.
I know a lot of people scratch their heads at people going through infertility treatments, saying, "Why not just adopt?" without realizing that adoption can be very challenging as well.
Have you been through infertility treatments and adoption? Would you say that they were equally challenging/draining?
Advertisements
I think both conceiving naturally and adopting are challenging and emotionally draining, but in my experience it was very different. I have been pregnant four times. The first time I miscarried at 10 weeks and then I got pregnant with my son. My water broke and I went into preterm labor and was told he wouldn't survive. I spent the next month on bed rest trying to keep him safe and healthy, but unfortunately he didn't make it. After that I was considered high risk, because they had never seen a case like mine before. After my third miscarriage they preformed several surgeries and discovered I have a rare uterine abnormality that makes pregnancy very difficult, but possible. I got pregnant a fourth time and everything looked great until I went in for a routine check up and found out my little girl didn't have a heart beat anymore. That was less than a year ago and I honestly can't imagine getting pregnant again and experiencing that loss again. It has been the most challenging and heartbreaking experience losing my babies.
When we began the adoption process, it went very quickly and smoothly. There were challenges, but I didn't feel as overwhelmed with adoption as I felt with high risk pregnancies. For the most part I immensely enjoyed the adoption process and it felt like a great fit for us. It was like we found this community of amazing people that were nothing but supportive and encouraging. It was hard to have those times when we got our hopes up on a situation, but I just had to keep telling myself that if it didn't work out, then it wasn't meant to be.
I would say both infertility and adoption are exhausting, but it was very different in my opinion and I felt adoption was less stressful in our specific situation. Everyone has different experiences though, so I'm interested to hear others stories!
1 Liked
 likes this.