Advertisements
Advertisements
My husband and I have been fostering a baby since he was 2-weeks old. We are past our 6-month review wherein the judge granted the bio-parents 6-more months purely because our case worker "didn't know" to include a crucial piece of evidence of services provided. That said, the judge instructed the county to get that paperwork and file a 388 hearing. In speaking with our caseworker, she indicated that even though my husband and i are a concurrent home, have been granted DeFacto parent status and are actively seeking to adopt our baby that she was still looking into other family members (out of state) and that if they are "suitable" that she would "have" to recommend them to adopt rather than us. Any thoughts?
Advertisements
In NY, if bio family is found and they're suitable, the child would go to them. The fact that the case worker knows about the family members may not go well in your favor. Sorry.
Lately, the goal of foster care is much more focused on a reunion with ANY biological family members than adoption. It's unfortunate, because the biological family may not always be the MOST suitable. But if they are found to be suitable, the vast majority of the time the child will go to them. The social worker and court almost does have to recommend that the child go to the biological family.
Advertisements