Advertisements
Advertisements
In your opinion, if someone is NOT experiencing infertility or related issues but want to adopt, should they pursue foster or international adoption rather than domestic infant adoption?
Advertisements
I think it's going to vary for individual families. It's a very private decision when you choose what route you want to go down in adoption. However, for me, I'm more interested in pursuing an international or foster adoption because I do not struggle with infertility and would not be interested in directing my funds/efforts/etc. for domestic infant adoption. However, my spouse is interested in domestic infant adoption because he loves the idea of being with his child from day one. Which I guess shows it's not only family by family, but individual by individual.
As someone who struggles with infertility, I am not against those who don't have infertility issues pursuing domestic infant adoption. I have spoken with some people are against it because they believe people who struggle with infertility should have "first dibs". I can see why some people may think it's not fair, but I don't feel that I am more entitled to adopting an infant just because I have infertility issues. Choosing between the different kinds of adoption should be entirely up to the individual or couple pursuing the adoption. In my opinion, if you have 6 biological children and you have the means and desire to adopt, then go for it!