Advertisements
Advertisements
My 8-year-old son wakes up almost every night saying that he's had a bad dream. At that point, he usually moves from his bedroom downstairs to the family room couch or the floor of my room upstairs, where things can get a little noisy, thanks to his baby sister waking up for her early-morning meal. So that often means he doesn't get quality sleep after 4 or 5 in the morning, and it shows. He's tired during the day, which makes him whiny. He often cries when it comes time to do his after-school activities, like karate and scouts, and says he doesn't want to go because he's too tired.
We have an established nighttime routine and put our kids to bed at 8 every night. He shares a room with his big brother, who has reassured him that he can be there to protect him if he gets scared. I've told him repeatedly that he'll sleep better if he just stays in his own bed. But he keeps getting up!
My little guy needs some better sleep! Any ideas out there for getting him to stay put all night? Help!
Advertisements
As a person that has chronic nightmares these are some things I've tried that usually work for me.
When I was younger, my parents actually rearranged my room to sort of "create a new environment" where I slept. This mostly consisted of just swapping the wall where by bed was at. But it totally worked for me! It's almost like it disassociated my room with the dreams.
As an adult, I've found that a lot of my nightmares comes from stress. Maybe see if there's something at school bothering him lately? I also cut back a lot on watching TV before bed, especially anything creepy (aka the half a dozen crime-dramas I'm addicted to) and even reading anything that was too graphic or intense (more crime-drama, sci-fi, etc).
And lastly I try my darndest not to eat any sugar or poignant tasting foods. Someone told me that diet can have a lot of influence on sleep.
Hope things get better for the little guy!
1 Liked
 likes this.
I used to get really bad nightmares when I was the same age and always slept on my parents bedroom floor, by their bed. After a few months of this, parents got me a necklace. It had a a little silver feather on it and apparently it had a special kind of good magic that would give me strength and fight off the bad dreams. They told me it would bring me protection and make me brave. It probably sounds pretty silly, but when I did have nightmares, my magic necklace helped me to stay brave and stay in my own bed. I kept that necklace on for over a year! I actually still have it.
1 Liked
 likes this.
If moving into the other room seems to help him, rearranging the room like Crystal said might help.
If these dreams are recurring, it could be due to anxiety. Most kids are fine, moving through this "bad dream" stage and getting on with their lives. But if this is impacting his daily life I might consider the possibility of more going on. As someone who has been diagnosed with panic disorder, I can tell you I had similar symptoms that began around that age.
Most likely that's not what's going on, but if all else fails and he is still struggling in a few months, an anxiety disorder might be something to look into.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
My 8-year-old son wakes up almost every night saying that he's had a bad dream. At that point, he usually moves from his bedroom downstairs to the family room couch or the floor of my room upstairs, where things can get a little noisy, thanks to his baby sister waking up for her early-morning meal. So that often means he doesn't get quality sleep after 4 or 5 in the morning, and it shows. He's tired during the day, which makes him whiny. He often cries when it comes time to do his after-school activities, like karate and scouts, and says he doesn't want to go because he's too tired.
We have an established nighttime routine and put our kids to bed at 8 every night. He shares a room with his big brother, who has reassured him that he can be there to protect him if he gets scared. I've told him repeatedly that he'll sleep better if he just stays in his own bed. But he keeps getting up!
My little guy needs some better sleep! Any ideas out there for getting him to stay put all night? Help!
Try changing the room. It might help.