Advertisements
Advertisements
I live in a part of the country that is about 90% white and 10% Hispanic. There are very few black or Asian people. From what I understand about transracial adoption, it's very important that an adopted child have "community mirrors," that they have the opportunity to encounter mentors, friends, neighbors, and professionals of their same race so they can develop a healthy racial identity. Does that mean I shouldn't consider adopting a black child? Would that be unfair for them? Is there a way to help a child cultivate a healthy race identity within a community that doesn't have a lot of diversity?
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I have heard arguments both ways and I think both sides have very valid reasons for their opinions. I personally think it is definitely ok to consider it especially if you feel equipped for such a situation. I live in a predominately white community as well, but I have had such positive experiences with everyone here since adopting our son who is about half hispanic. I really want to make sure he feels connected to his culture, as well as others in the community. If we lived in an area with high crime rates against hispanic, asians, blacks, etc, it would be a different story though I think because I wouldn't want to put a child in that kind of hostile environment.
2 Liked
and  like this.
I was was raised in Chugiak Alaska and it was predominantly white but that did not matter at all. I never ever felt left out or separate at all. My patents were treated with respect
As far as transracial adoption and community mirrors eventhough I did not have another African in the house hold there were Native America so that most likely made me feel more connected.
You could always adopts two I see many families doing that. As far as identity the morals and values I gained worked out great in my favor.
do you have black friends? Would you be able to take your child to places that show black people in a positive light?
I live in a part of the country that is about 90% white and 10% Hispanic. There are very few black or Asian people. From what I understand about transracial adoption, it's very important that an adopted child have "community mirrors," that they have the opportunity to encounter mentors, friends, neighbors, and professionals of their same race so they can develop a healthy racial identity. Does that mean I shouldn't consider adopting a black child? Would that be unfair for them? Is there a way to help a child cultivate a healthy race identity within a community that doesn't have a lot of diversity?
Oh no, i wouldn't. You need to make sure they live in the inner-city, you know so that they can join a gang and protect themselves and their black brothers from the po-po. Make sure you sign up with your local black power union rep before adopting any black child... Seriously, go back to the 60s malcolm x and quit watching so much fucking tv. Segregationist asshole...
Advertisements
Oh no, I wouldn't.... You should go to the inner city so that they can join a gang and protect themselves and their black brothers from the evils of suburban and rural racism, not to mention the police. While you're at it, go and join up with your local black power rep to make sure your child won't have to endure what everyone who was ever alive has to face on a daily basis... Seriously, go back to the 60s Malcolm X. You're living in 2017. That segregationist crap is something that's practically nonexistent these days. Wasting your time making stupid fantasies like that a factor in your childs life