Advertisements
Advertisements
My birth daughter's adoptive brother's birth parents (gosh that's a mouthful!) Are getting married tomorrow. Both the adoptive parents and I are over the moon excited for them, and excited to be a part of the wedding.
My question is, what's going to happen afterwards? When their birth son gets older, I wonder if he will struggle with the fact that he has full blood biological siblings that his birth parents are parenting. They were very young when they placed him, so it's easy for me to understand, but I wonder what it will be like in his little mind (he's 5).
Has anyone else had the birth parents of their child get married? What was that like? Did your child struggle with it?
Advertisements
That's why communication in Openness is SO important. Birth & Adoptive parents will need to keep the lines of communication very open and discuss why things are the way the are. In age appropriate ways of course. There will be unconditional acceptance, then the years of questions, then things should turn again toward understanding, empathy and acceptance. The grown ups remaining approachable is KEY!
Di/OHIO
I love what you said about the grown ups remaining approachable not only is communication between birth and adoptive parents a vital part of a healthy adoption, but both parties need to make sure the adoptee knows they are safe to ask questions and have feelings.