Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Even with the hardship it can cause for the family, for the parent who would be the primary caregiver and might have to stay home with the child, for the amount of medical or educational issues it might cause, I still can't say that it will stop me. We were told my nephew was substance exposed in utero and no matter what it might mean for our family I couldn't even try to stop pushing forward to have him safe and sound. That's the only thing that truly matters. Any child born to us naturally could have any number of disabilities by chance that could be similar to the problems caused by drug/alcohol abuse during pregnancy. It wouldn't stop us from loving that child and caring for them unconditionally. These issues are not the baby's fault. It's absolutely a decision, knowing beforehand and going into it with our eyes open realizing that this could affect our other children, but the love and happiness that another child brings into a family, and the knowledge that we could help make him safe with us is much more than enough to balance that out.