Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone else has become a licensed foster parent and then taken in a child from out of state? My end result would be to adopt the child one day, but fostering would be first.
I actually have a child in mind which tears my heart apart and I'd love any insight on this process if you've experienced something similar. We have started the licensing process but there's a lot of waiting as I've been learning!
Would love some helpful feedback! ߒ
Kindly,
Holly & family
I am in the same boat you are. I have asked my licensing representative about the process for adopting waiting children from out of state. She has not responded yet, but at our orientation here are some things I gathered. The process is vastly different from state to state, I have heard that some states are way easier to work with than others. I also know for a fact you can not inquire about a child before you get your license. And last, Illinois requires you to foster for 6 months prior to any adoption. So once the child is transferred to Illinois, you will foster them for 6 months before you start the court proceedings to adopt. So far that is all the information I have gathered thus far but will keep you posted once I talk to our contact. We are in Illinois also and have our eye on a child. I did read one lady who said she inquired on 200 kids before she was selected! Hopefully that is an extreme case! Good luck!!!
Advertisements
I've also heard stories about people inquiring about dozens of children before being selected. It makes me wonder why in the world there are so many kids who don't get adopted at all.
At least you have a licensing rep. My initial interview is over and my profile was passed along to whoever will be my main person... I was told it could take up to a month to hear anything. Whaaaat??!! These kids are in tears wondering if anyone wants them and we can't even get to them! I will tell you that I DO have 5 ... yes 5 biological children already... don't hate me for that. I'm very lucky to conceive easily, but that aside... I did go through IVF as a mom and as an egg donor. I knew one day I wanted to be a foster/adoptive parent and wasn't "looking" for a child now... but I think he found me. ߘ He's a 14 year old amazing kid that I just wish I could scoop up and have join our family now. I understand wanting to keep these kids safe and not giving out too much info on them to prospective parents... but I hate not knowing he's ok... like "your" little girl... you just want to know she's ok. And I want "my" boy to be safe and happy too. I had a dream the other night that October was significant for us. I wasn't quite sure if we got to meet him then or if he moved with us... but I can hope it was a sign that things will work out... even if it takes the length of a REAL pregnancy!
I hope you and your wife get your daughter.... I know that you love her already and if you're like me you check yo see if her profile status has changed from available to pending! °ߘ That would be a mixed blessing, but I think we both would rather have "our" kids truly be ours! аߒٰߒ
Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone else has become a licensed foster parent and then taken in a child from out of state? My end result would be to adopt the child one day, but fostering would be first.
I actually have a child in mind which tears my heart apart and I'd love any insight on this process if you've experienced something similar. We have started the licensing process but there's a lot of waiting as I've been learning!
Would love some helpful feedback! ߒ
Kindly,
Holly & family
Good Morning from Virginia,
We have been in the foster to adopt process for a about a year. We were officially licensed in September 2016. We went through a private agency so once we were approved we started looking for our match. We decided to adopt a waiting child meaning tpr already happened and they are waiting for a forever family. We inquired on over 30 children from all over the united states and finally matched with a little girl out state in March....boy its been a terrible process to get her home and they are saying it could be another 8 months... Lucky we are talking daily and visiting monthly. But we are in it for the long hall and already so in love with her! We were looking for children under 8 and open to sibling groups which made it a little harder to be matched..which is crazy because how many kids need homes... I can help with any questions.
Last update on May 28, 6:50 am by Melissa Clarke.