Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm hoping to hear from families who adopted when they already had another child in the home. We're considering adoption and we already have a two-year-old. Before we start the home study process, we're trying to decide on our time frame for adoption--I'm 35 and my husband is 48, so it needs to be < 5 years away--and the age range of children we might adopt.
Our primary concern is the impact on our daughter. We're not sure if it's best to wait until she's older and would understand the process better, or to go for it soon, especially since we may adopt from foster care and know that can be a long and painful process with many uncertainties. We're also not sure if it would be best--both for her and for the child we are adopting--to search for a child close in age to her, or a significantly older sibling. (We're certainly open to adopting an infant, but we know the waiting lists are generally a mile long and I'm not sure if we'd be candidates given my husband's age.) I'm sure a lot of it depends on the kids' personalities, but I'm just looking for your experiences and advice.
What factors should we keep in mind? What was good or bad about the ages at which you adopted your children? Any recommendations on how and when to talk to a young child about the process?