Advertisements
Advertisements
I've seen a lot of stories in the news lately about sibling groups being adopted. I think it is WONDERFUL that sibling groups are getting to stay together. I can see adopting that many children at once being extra challenging - but also having some bonuses, like the emotional connections the kids already have. What would you say are some of the good things and some of the challenges that come from adopting siblings together?
So glad you asked this question! I am wondering the same.
Also, any thoughts on how age gap can come into play? We are currently exploring 2 kids under 3 or 4.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
Like you said, there are great benefits in keeping siblings together because they have that bond. It can help them make the transition to your home more easily since they have that familiar support. They have someone who knows exactly where they come from and can empathize with them. It also prevents potential resentment in the future ("why did you want me but not my brother?".
Adopting more than one child at a time can be a handful, and a harder transition for the adoptive parent. But I think the benefit to the children outweighs the cost.
In situations where there has been severe abuse, however, there are some things to watch out for. Some children that have undergone sexual or physical abuse will act out the abuse they went through on their siblings. This doesn't always happen of course, but that is a possibility.
Just like any other adoption, particularly foster adoption, I would recommend getting all the kids into therapy to help them make an easier transition.