Advertisements
Advertisements
One of my kids has moderate ADHD. It's generally manifested as an inability to focus (following complex directions, completing a math worksheet quickly, etc), plus impulsivity and emotional outbursts/tantrums. When he was in the second grade, we had him evaluated by the school psychologist, spent some time talking to our family doctor, and ultimately decided to try medication. We tried one med that just completely knocked him out and made him sick to his stomach - then we found a liquid ADHD med that seemed to really work wonders for him. We played around with the dosage, found an amount that worked (2 ml), and things got so much better. The tantrums slowed way down and school became much more pleasant for him. That was two years ago, when he was eight. Just recently (over the past three months, I'd say), his behaviors have taken a turn for the worse. He's suddenly become more impulsive and has started throwing tantrums daily.
So now I'm wondering . . . is it the med? Does he need a dosage adjustment? Or a different med? Can a drug just suddenly stop working like that? Or is he acting out because of some recent life changes? (We had a new baby 6 months ago - and his aunt, who had lived with us basically his whole life, got married and moved out shortly after that.) I'm just kind of tearing my hair out right now.
Advertisements