Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone,
I have a little cousin who is currently in the care of his maternal grandmother by court order due to the mother not being able to care for him and my uncle not wanting to. Recently, the grandmother stated that she does not think she can care for him long term due to her age and the demands that comes with it. The courts reached out to my family to see if we would be willing to care for him. We agreed and the case worker submitted our names to the court and began our background checks. For now, we would be awarded permanent guardianship and if his mom and dad gives up rights we could adopt later. The next court date is July 23, all of this occurred around April 10-12. Since the baby is currently living in NC and I am in SC, what is the wait period and process. The case worker has began the application and we had a home study scheduled, but had to reschedule. I am a teacher and would like to bond with him as much as possible during my summer break before returning to work in the fall, and if he is placed with us by then, him daycare. Just trying to get a feel of the time span and if I should began speaking with my boss about possible time off to care for him. Thanks for any responses.
I would ask on Tuesday. If you can have your Case Expedited ?
' Kin Ship ' Legal Permanently Guardianship should be more timely . Than what you are currently experiencing!!!
I would look into Child Care and wait and see before talking to supervisor ...
Advertisements
I would also make a serious commitment with the ' Home Study . '
It is a lengthy and in depth process no matter what.
They also look at your commitment and integrity with regards to raising this ' Little One ' as well also!!!!
Your caseworker might have a better idea than anyone how long the process will take. You could also contact the ICPC offices in each state and ask about time frames with them. Here's a directory!
So far whenever we ask the case worker about the timeline, she never really gives a for sure time but instead just says not before the court date or closer to the court date. The home study did not occur because of an issue on the case worker's end. We were ready and prepared for the visit, but she had to cancel. We were contacting her at least once a week but it seemed as if she was getting a little aggravated with the questions so we backed off a little which seemed to get better results. We did ask about contacting our county's DSS to notify them about the plans to make them aware, but she told us to wait and that everything will be done in due time. Thanks.
Advertisements