Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, all! I have a few questions about this; hoping maybe someone can give me some answers!
My husband is trying to adopt my oldest son, who is 13. We had our home study, and have our hearing scheduled for later this week. We live in CT, where the dreaded DCF is the end-all, be-all of decisions involving children. During our home study, we were NOT treated like we were trying to do a nice thing. It felt more like an abuse investigation. This woman was horrific. To the point where I almost wanted to ask her to leave and drop the whole thing. She spent over an hour discussing me, about 15 minutes on my husband, and less than 5 minutes with my son. She didn't ask any questions about their relationship, how they interact, nothing. She did, however, note that my husband was convicted over 10 years ago of a felony and asked A LOT about that. It seemed like her mind was made up as far as her recommendation to the court before she even walked in the door. So, my question is:
Is the DCF recommendation the only factor?
Is a felony conviction enough to deny the adoption?
My son's biological father is a non issue; he is unknown, and my son is considered "free for adoption"
Thanks!
I'm so sorry you had such a rough experience with your caseworker! I'm not positive about the state laws in CT, but if you passed your home study, I don't think the DCF recommendation would be the sole factor in deciding- although it sounds like it carries quite a bit of weight. Please let us know how the hearing goes! Hoping all will be well for you.
Advertisements