Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
This post is a little old, so not sure if you have made any progress since this post.
I am helping my Japanese daughter in law find her family and here are some ideas.
You should DNA test with Ancestry.com and 23andme. Then upload the results from 23andme to GEDmatch. You might get lucky and find a close cousin that knows your family. I think Walgreens, walmart and Target sell 23andme test kits.
I know with my wife's family, everyone is on Facebook. I think Facebook is free in the PI so I would make some posts and see what comes up. Watch out for scams!!!
Do you have your adoption paperwork? If not you will need to file a freedom of information act request with USCIS for your immigration paperwork. That should contain a letter from your mother releasing you from her care. If it was an adoption agency then you could go through them.
Your adopted parent should have some of this information, but some times these are hard things to deal with. My daughter in law's adopted family refused to help. So I had to take a couple years to figure it all out myself.
Keep notes and any stories you hear, little pieces of information could be very important. Try to think of yourself as a police detective, follow every lead, and when you get some DNA cousins contact all the ones at least 4th cousin or better. Find out family names and home towns and write it down.
Good luck
1 Liked
 likes this.