Advertisements
Advertisements
I always knew I was adopted. It was something I never really had an issue with. In fact, I remember always wondering why, but always knowing too. You see, my birth mom and my mom knew each other before either of married. I grew up hearing my adoption story every birthday. So I knew why she placed me for adoption, but I wanted so badly to meet her, and talk to her. July 22, 2016 I had that chance. While the story she told me matched the story I grew up hearing, it was incredible to hear it from my birth mom's perspective and hear what she was thinking and feeling throughout the experience. It was fun see how similar we looked, that some of our mannerisms were the same and that we shared a significant amount of similar likes and dislikes. We maintain a good relationship to this day, almost a year later later. I have grown close with my birth mom and her new husband, and my half sister. I am grateful for the positive experience I had in reuniting with my birth mom.
I am aware that not all reunions play out so positively, what are some experiences you have had with reunions, positive, or negative?
I feel very blessed that my adoption has been open since birth, so my little birth daughter will always know who I am. So far it's been a very positive experience, and we have a special relationship that I treasure.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
I feel very blessed that my adoption has been open since birth, so my little birth daughter will always know who I am. So far it's been a very positive experience, and we have a special relationship that I treasure.
Annaleece, have you seen this pattern with other open adoptions as well?
Erika, I have personally witnessed a wide range of open adoption scenarios. Many play out in a way similar to Annaleece's and continue to be positive throughout the child's life, with everyone working together to make the relationship a positive and healthy one. Others are a little more distant, but still with a level of openness that provides the child with access to his or her birth family. Sometimes open adoptions break down and one of the parties withdraws.